Trekking in the Jungle...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 13th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got the sleeper train from Bangkok up to Chiang Mai and Promptly had the worst nights sleep ever !! Thanks to a rather large American dude (at least he got a quality nights kip in though !) We arrived in Chiang Mai and were taken to our guest house for the night. That night we had a meeting with the guys who were taking us into the mountains around the (small) city and to visit the tribes who live in the isolated village found there. The guides both grew up in these villages themselves and this really helped our experience in the jungle, learning about the way they use their surroundings and also how the villagers live their day to day lives. (They also cooked the meanest food - definitely the best we have had during our travels!)

Next morning we were up early and into the back of a pick-up for a couple of hours journey to where we started our trek - on the back of an elephant ! A very strange experience but the size and power of these huge animals was awesome...

Next we trekked for a few hours and eventually came to a big waterfall where we changed into our cossies and got in ! So refreshing after getting so hot and sweaty trekking !

A long climb up the mountain after this brought us to our first home for the night, and a large hut where the 9 trekkers all slept soundly, if not too comfortably !

Next day and lots for trekking, around 4 hours walking and lots more climbing right at the beginning for our tired legs - ow ! Saw a scorpion and also a Cobra which was a bit scary and our guide was like "get back ! get back !" All fun and games though...

Last day saw lighter trekking where we saw another poisonous snake which I have been unable to identify as yet but we again were told to stay well back while one of the guides killed it. Rather it than us I guess. We ended the trek by going river rafting which was fun, again refreshing getting soaked by all our mates as we raced down the river.

When we got back to the Guest House in Chiang Mai we slept for a bit then all had dinner together and then some of us went to the Maui Thai boxing which was fun, if the guys did seem a bit young to be knocking the crap out of each other at 16 years old. After this we went to a cool bar with a Thai girl who worked at the guest house where a very good covers band were playing lots of western songs.

All in all we much preferred Chiang Mai to Bangkok, lots more laid back and more things to see and do. Much more up our street.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th July 2009

Trekking
I love trekking in jungle..but i am fond of animals..please guide me more.. Thanks for sharing.. ___________________ Andrew Entertainment at one stop

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb