Wats...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 7th 2006
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We meet Roong at the Wok for an 8.30 start. I still can't believe that I got up at 7am this morning, breakfast was a lively affair and getting to the toaster was a feat in itself.
Our first stop is Wat Chedi Lung (I'm sorry if I've got this bit wrong, we saw a lot of Wats today and I can't find my map!) it's original structure was hit by lightning and the ruin still stands (see pic), we move onto Wat Prah Singh, there is a large monastry here and also a school for the novices. Lots of boys come here to be educated and most Thai men spend three months being monks. The buildings are very beautiful and decorated with lots and lots of gold leaf.
We move on to another Wat where Monk Chat is available daily. There is also a meditation school here. For a change of pace we leave the city and drive out towards the zoo, here we visit Wat Umong, where the trees speak to you. There are underground shrines and a huge lake of catfish who love popcorn!
It's now lunchtime and we visit the Galae Restaurant. It has a fabulous view of the city and the food's great too!
We then drive to some temple ruins, these have only been excavated in the last 4-5 years and are quite ancient. Unfortunately I've forgotten to bring the book with their names so I'll update at some point! Have some lovely photos instead!
This evening we break with tradition and have Tex-Mex. The food is good and the restaurant is American owned. I have a streaming cold and decide an early night is in order.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb