Chiang Mai - My Month of Massage.


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 19th 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After finishing our trip around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia (about a month and a half in all), Dave left for New York, and I continued onto Chiang Mai - one of the many ancient capitals of Thailand. I've been here for about three weeks now, staying in the Ben Guest House - which is across the Ping River from the Old City. The Old City is surrounded by the remaining sections of the city w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Hey there.Hey there.
Hey there.

Quite an honor. And I have a large poster of his artwork (soothing blues watering into yellows surrounding a Buddha), purchased here, to remember this moment.
Just another day at a gorgeous temple.Just another day at a gorgeous temple.
Just another day at a gorgeous temple.

The monks smile pleasantly at the visitors - who are all aglow.
Absolutely stunning. Absolutely stunning.
Absolutely stunning.

“It was my strong intention to build a temple in imitation of heaven. I wanted it to be a heaven on earth. I built a main building in the Buddhist monastery. I wanted it to be like a house of the Buddha with white color representing His purity and white glass representing His wisdom shining all over the earth and the universe.”
Unfinished business. Unfinished business.
Unfinished business.

"I may not be able to live to complete the decoration of all 9 buildings. Art is long lasting, but live is too short. However, I expect that the overall architectural structure will be completed within the next 3 years, or by the year 2007."
At each glance, something delicate.At each glance, something delicate.
At each glance, something delicate.

"I was born on the land of Thailand in a small village named “Baan Rong Khun” in Chiang Rai. At the time I was born, there was no electricity in my village, I was born with the help of a midwife. My afterbirth fell on this land. I love my country. When I was young, I wanted to be soldier. But as I was not a good student but very good at drawing and painting. I dreamt that when I grew up, I would create the work of arts to mark our country’s heritage on the land where I was born."
Long Live the King.Long Live the King.
Long Live the King.

"When I was a fine art student at Silpakorn University, my teacher told me that His Majesty the King once said “ I wonder why there is no identity arts in my reign. All other kings have their identity arts. New temples constructed in my reign still reflect the conventional arts.” I was old enough to understand his wish. As such, I decided to focus my study on Thai arts in the hope that one day in the future, I would be able to produce that kind of arts for him. Finally, my dream came true. I went to England to make mural paintings at Buddha Pratheep Temple free of charge. I wanted to produce Thai contemporary arts that are unique for my beloved King."
Inspiration. Inspiration.
Inspiration.

"Dharma of the Lord Buddha was some thing like a piece of rattan with sharp thorns. It stroke onto my rebellious heart. Sometimes, Dharma was like cool water to cool down the heat in my heart. It was also like warm water to warm up my heart when I was afraid of the facts of life. Now that I have used Dharma for 20 years to kill my passion. I finally found happiness, peace and wisdom. Not only myself but also my family, relatives and friends feel happy. Around me is smiles and laughings of inner happiness. I could feel the sound of happiness. I could feel the sound of happiness inside. Everybody has bright eyes. We all have high spirit."
The Last Breath. The Last Breath.
The Last Breath.

Dharma is really great. I was very grateful to it. It changes my life. If helps me understand things. With the rise of wisdom, understanding occurs. Now, I understand the facts of life cycle from birth to living and to death. For this reason, I promise with myself to dedicate all my life to Buddhism. I want to be the patron of Buddhism. I will make Buddhist arts the heritage of Thailand recognized by the people all over the globe. - all quotes are copied from Chalermchai Kositpipat's website: http://web.chiangrai.net/tourcr/e_version/index.php?option=rongkhun



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb