Chiang Mai - My Month of Massage.


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 19th 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After finishing our trip around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia (about a month and a half in all), Dave left for New York, and I continued onto Chiang Mai - one of the many ancient capitals of Thailand. I've been here for about three weeks now, staying in the Ben Guest House - which is across the Ping River from the Old City. The Old City is surrounded by the remaining sections of the city w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

On the way to Burma....On the way to Burma....
On the way to Burma....

So, when someone says I will be visiting a hot spring - I imagine a wooded path up a slope, or even mountain, surrounded by woods, and hot steam rising out of dark boulders. But no. These two geysers are surrounded by a U-shaped strip mall on a busy highway. Mmmm, and the sign: HOT SPING. I love it.
Mini faithful.Mini faithful.
Mini faithful.

bubbling and gurgling.
Incredible EdibleIncredible Edible
Incredible Edible

Chicken and pheasant eggs - boiled after a few minutes by women.
LUANG CHEDILUANG CHEDI
LUANG CHEDI

Means Large Chedi. Quite nice. Similar to others I've seen in Chiang Mai though...but this one is much older (14th century) - and, rather than typical Thai style, it is Lanna (One million rice paddy fields) Kingdom style. It was restored by UNESCO and the Japanese government.
Sacred ArborSacred Arbor
Sacred Arbor

Wat Luang Bodhi. No doubt the great-great-great-great-great-Grandtree of the original.
Preparing for the Golden Triangle...Preparing for the Golden Triangle...
Preparing for the Golden Triangle...

Still at Wat Luang, we follow our journey on this map from Chiang Mai up to the Laos border.
Staring out toward Laos.Staring out toward Laos.
Staring out toward Laos.

The "optional" boat ride for this 800 Baht trip (including all transportation, a delicious lunch buffet, three different cultural stops) was 300 Baht (about $10) for an hour ride on the Mekong. I explained that I had spent about 3 days on boat rides along the MeKong (from Chiang Khong to Luang Prabang, and from a tiny town in Vietnam to Phnom Penh) and that I would rather enjoy the view for an hour). Barbara agreed with me, and we walked around the area.
Golden Peace of Mind.Golden Peace of Mind.
Golden Peace of Mind.

Staring from the building near the dock toward the HUGE Buddha on the Thai side of the MeKong.
The gate to enlightenment.The gate to enlightenment.
The gate to enlightenment.

Probably my favorite photo of my entire time in Chiang Mai.
Yoo Hoooo.Yoo Hoooo.
Yoo Hoooo.

silly Buddha. popping his head out of the foliage.
And...we're here? And...we're here?
And...we're here?

MMmm yes. I suppose there's value just being here, but for all of the build up, I'm underwhelmed.
Wading in Murky WatersWading in Murky Waters
Wading in Murky Waters

They bathe on the Thai side of the small waterway. Staring over to the Burmese side - about 25 feet in front of them.
My 8th Country in Asia.My 8th Country in Asia.
My 8th Country in Asia.

Grinning - expanding my world view. Sadly, I'll only be in the country for a VERY short time. (Visa extension trip!)
International, Over-Water Post.International, Over-Water Post.
International, Over-Water Post.

If I lived/worked in the buildings on one side, I would make a friend just across from me, and we would throw a string between the two buildings, and send letters, apples, anything between the two countries.
Myanmar flags just beyond the Thai.Myanmar flags just beyond the Thai.
Myanmar flags just beyond the Thai.

Shows the exact meter of the border. "You can't conquer us, we're a nation of 5 million people!" "Well, do you have a flag????!" "No flag, no country. These are the rules, the I have just made up!" ahhhh Eddie Izzard. Amazing cross-dressing comedian.
The Smoking DevilThe Smoking Devil
The Smoking Devil

At the entrance of the White Temple - warning about the dangers of smoking to both your lungs and to the pristine white columns of the temple.
national artist Mr. Chalermchai Kositpipatnational artist Mr. Chalermchai Kositpipat
national artist Mr. Chalermchai Kositpipat

So, we arrive on a random day, a random late afternoon to the famous White Temple (the Chapel of Wat Rong Khun) and THE ARTIST has made an appearance. He is incredibly famous in Thailand, and I have met him. (See next photo)



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb