Golden Triangle, Laos and Long Necks


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
December 13th 2005
Published: December 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

What a day...14 hours of touring the Northern most region of Thailand. I joined a few other travelers and drove to the northern point of Thailand where it meets with Laos and Burma and is called the Golden Triangle. It got it's name from the furious optium trade back in the day where the currency wasn't dependable so Gold was the only way to properly buy the drug in large quantity. Today it's a tourist attraction where 3 cultures diverge into one and on the Thailand and Burma side, there are markets galore. We took a very short boat ride up the river into Burma, then stopped over into Laos and did alittle shopping. The boarder patrol allows this if only a very short visit and Baht 20 transfer fee (for what, I have no idea). The Laos people are very soft mannered peaceful people. Our tour guide was helpful in explaining everything he knew which was a lot.
Among other stops, we drove to a spot where there is a small refuge village of the Long Neck people that left Burma 8 years ago. They call them the Karen Long Necks for obvious reasons. This small village represents a larger tribe still hiding, and being chased by the Bruma rebels in the hillsides of Burma. The women wear this heavy solid copper wrapping around their neck and knee's for a couple of reasons., i.e., they believe in spirits and the tiger spirit may come in the night and bite their neck without this shield, snake spirits will bite their legs without the leg wraps, and also for decoration as they feel the longer their necks the more beautiful they will be.....like a swan. Their hair is rarely if ever cut as this will shorten their life. Finally, for the women who are born on a full moon.....
The other picture of the woman who looks like she needs a new dentist is another tribe (I can't remember the name). She's actually chewing on a tree bark that blackens her teeth. She does this because she believes that this will strengthen her teeth. She also believes she needs suffering in her life so she increases the size of her earring hole as she gets older....no pain no gain. Both tribes live next two each other in harmony....they live on Thai government owned soil and seem very happy. They were very friendly and seem to enjoy getting their picture taken.
Tomorrow morning I leave this great region of Chiang Mai for southern Thailand to finish my holiday on Ko Phi Phi. Until then.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb