WHITE WATER NEAR CHIANG MAI


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
December 24th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

C'MON RAINY SEASON



It is the low season for white water rafting and I have had a sore shoulder so I went along for the ride today without straining anything. The water was fairly calm at Mae Taeng river but we still had some fun on the rapids. My companions for today were Nathan, a Bangkok student and Tora and Zvika from Israel. On the way to Mae Taeng River, Nathan explained the high school system and how students learnt english to varying degrees in Bangkok. His parents are with the United Nations and they had been living in Thailand for six years. Amazingly the rafting was located next to the Elephant Nature Park so I could have stayed overnight and saved trips to and from Chiang Mai. We had a great lunch of salad, crumbed chicken and spring rolls before a session on safe rafting. This trip was very professionaly run by Chiang Mai Adventure and the guides tried hard although they were probably bored with the less than perfect rafting conditions.

Rafting is a good activity for discipline and team bulding and Tora and Zvika were great fun to chat with and go rafting with, Nathan had
Not us but gives you some ideaNot us but gives you some ideaNot us but gives you some idea

They made a very good dvd for 300 baht-bit difficult to take pics out there
been dropped off to drive an ATV. A DVD was made of the rafting and delivered to my guesthouse that night for 300 baht. If I get the chance I will return sometime near rainy season to experience the rapids at their peak. The scenery here is awesome and it was a great day and I was very tired by the time we returned to Chiang Mai. I shook hands with Tora and Zvika, it is amazing how we can bond with people in such a short time, one of the great benefits of travel.

Chiang Mai and CM Blue Guesthouse



Well to be honest I am not that keen on the central town part of Chiang Mai - the Night Bazaar is really touristy but there is some interest at the Peak Climbing wall if someone is game enough to climb to the top and the bar area caters for all types. There are many amzing places to dine, you will never go hungry in Chiang Mai and the people are friendly, like all of Thailand that I have encountered. When I go to Chiang Mai I spend as much time as possible in the surrounding countryside and visited Doi Inthanan and Doi Suthep and many beautiful waterfalls when I was here in October.

There is a great traditional buffet dinner and show available which can cater for over 1500 in high season (your guesthouse can organise tickets for you). I also did elephant riding when I was here last and have been put off that after being at the Elephant Nature Park but I will not say to anyone that they should not ride an elephant at least once. I was the typical tourist and did enjoy it especially when I rode near the head of the elephant.

The nights in Chiang Mai are so perfect at this time of year and it is best to walk around near the moat areas or catch a tuk tuk to get around quickly. Chiang Mai is a big city when you leave the old part of town and it is worth getting dropped off somewhere in the northern part just outside the moat by a few minutes and see how the locals live. Hardly a farang to be seen and little or no english is spoken. It really gives you an insight into the local way
Boring raftingBoring raftingBoring rafting

We had the rubber ducky type rafting not this stuff which is fairly lame
of life away from tourist.

My guesthouse CM Blue House is convieniently located near restuarants 7/11 and walking distance to the Night Bazaar. At 600 baht a night it is good value for air conditioned clean rooms and TV. Remember to bring soap and toiletries and tissues if you stay in a guesthouse but towels and linen are supplied. A nice lady Lim manages rooms and guests and can organise day trips like rafting for you. The food is very good from the restaurant and you fill in a book near the bar if you have coffee or other drinks. There is a large fridge in your room which is handy.

The internet is very slow if it is working in the places I have tried in CM so I filling out my blogs in Bangkok for the past few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

All doneAll done
All done

We showered, changed and had a cool drink and fruit while the guides packed up the gear
CM Blue HouseCM Blue House
CM Blue House

My guesthouse is nice and very blue all over
CM Blue HouseCM Blue House
CM Blue House

Nice dining area with a waterfall
Soi 6 is cuteSoi 6 is cute
Soi 6 is cute

Leads from CM Blue House to the moat and a nice market, shops, internet cafe, laundry 7/11and teller machine - very handy location
Chiang Mai - Tharpae GateChiang Mai - Tharpae Gate
Chiang Mai - Tharpae Gate

Moated ancient city


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb