The night[mare] bus


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 4th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The last few days are a bit of a blur so Im sitting here not really knowing what to write.

I suppose i should start with the night bus. so it may have been 4 pounds to travel 12 hours on a bus across the country, but it was living hell. The bus was like a double decker but only had seats on the upper deck, luggage went below. The toilet was also downstairs but you had to duck and walk along crouched down to get to the door! which is definitely not easy when youre being driven along a thai motorway at god knows what speed. The cubicle was tiny and there was a huge bucket of water by the toilet that kept sloshing on the floor. When we stopped for a break the toilet situation didnt improve. It was literally 2 shacks made from corrigated tin. The toilet its self had become home to several dozen mozzies, laying eggs in the water! I really wasnt up for getting bitten on the bum so i turned around to leave and noticed a huge spider right next to my face. Turned to walk out the door and noticed the whole shack was covered in spiders and mozzies. The next stop looked much more appealing, until i opened the door to find a squat!!!

I arrived in Chiang Mai at 6am feeling smelly, dirty and knackered. We got off the bus and a small red truck with 2 benches in it pulled over. a taxi apparantly! there were already 2 blokes in it, who had been on the night train (why ddint i think of that?!) We all ended up going to the same hostel then went to find somewhere for breakfast. When the bill came they brought us a tray of cough sweets!!

The hostel here isnt so good! There is a brown band painted around the bottom of the wall, then bright red up to the middle, then yellow, with a green stencil! The beds are rock hard and the door is nearly off its hinges! You literally cannot shut it. You have to put a sliding lock across it to keep it shut.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb