Chiang Dao 15th - 18th July


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Dao
July 19th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a few days in Chiang Mai we were both keen to explore more of Northern Thailand and so decided to catch a bus to the small town of Chiang Dao, 1.5 hours north of Chiang Mai to do some cycling and trekking. We checked into Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows about 5 miles from the main bus terminal for 150baht (about £2.50) per night.

After a rest and read, we walked to Tham Chiang Dao cave complex, the main attraction in Chiang Dao, about 1.3km from Malee's place. We paid for a local guide with a gas lantern to show us around and explored the 4 interconnected caverns that were open to the public. Our guide did not speak much English, but he knew the basics and would point out various structures for us to photograph. I think we took nearly 30 photos ranging from a 'waterfall' to 'elephants' and even a 'chicken'! I think we may be deleting a few of those later....


Cycling



The next day we hired mountain bikes and set off armed with a local map. Our first stop was at the local supermarket for provisions. Malee had suggested a route which took us through Chiang Dao, the surrounding villages and past paddy fields. Despite a large hill near the end of our route almost finishing us off, we generally enjoyed ourselves.

In the evening we walked to a nearby restaurant to enjoy some local cuisine. Although nice, the food was a bit pricey for us backpackers so we agreed to eat at Malee's the next night.


Trekking



We booked a one day trek through Malee and were met by a local guide called Mr Moon armed with a big grin and a machete! A French couple also staying at Malee's had booked to do the trek too making 5 of us in total. After a short drive in the back of a pick-up truck we began our trek through jungle. The walk was initially downhill towards a waterfall and was extremely slippery underfoot - I was glad of our bamboo walking sticks! Once at the waterfall it was all uphill stopping to 'take shower' in the plunge pool.

After a few hours of walking, we stopped at Mr Moon's house/farm for lunch where his wife cooked us a watery dish of noodles, cabbage and tomatoes - not too dissimilar to super noodles! The rest of the walk was on fairly flat ground for a further 2-3 hours until we reached some hot springs.

The springs were a bit disappointing - they looked like small bubbly swamps and smelt of rotten eggs due to the sulphur dioxide. The water was run off into concrete baths and the local villagers were taking a bath when we arrived. Needless to say we did not go in them!

In the evening Malee cooked a buffet style Thai feast which we hugely enjoyed after all our exercise during the day. The following day we left Chiang Dao and returned to Chiang Mai for my birthday before catching an overnight bus back to Bangkok on Saturday 19th July.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th July 2008

Looks like your having a fantastic time, so so jealous - Thailand has definetly been added to my list of must visit places. Joel best get saving. Missing you hun x
27th August 2008

hello lisa and mike
thank you for your nice comment we miss you.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb