Buddhist Lent in Nong Khai and Ho Kham


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nong Khai
July 21st 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

I was surprised to find out the first Friday that we had a four day weekend. It was Buddhist lent and the school was in Chaos getting ready for the ceremony that would take place after school. We walked around the entire village with several huge candles in the back of pickup trucks. We then all went to the temple for chanting and prayer. Here the monks splashed water on the kids as they went by after the ceremony.

The next day I stayed in Nong Khai. There were a few things I needed, including a break. I came to find that they also had a large candle festival. I went with Nic (Thai) and Juan (Columbian.

It is more a festival of Thai women and Lady Boys (men who dress as women is openly accepted in this society), rather than candles. The festival is actually a parade. They did traditional dancing and wore the traditional dress. We watched them parade around and then visited the main temple in Nong Khai. Nic had been a monk for 2 years so he knew all of the details.

I will let the pictures tell the rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Two Thai GirlsTwo Thai Girls
Two Thai Girls

For some reason or another they do not smile. The adult with them saw me with my camera and motioned for me to take a picture of the girls.
Three Thai GirlsThree Thai Girls
Three Thai Girls

Well, are they all girls???
The GaurdiansThe Gaurdians
The Gaurdians

These Dragons are hand made out of leaves and then painted.
The BuddhaThe Buddha
The Buddha

On his Float
Student with a "Monk Basket"Student with a "Monk Basket"
Student with a "Monk Basket"

Yes. That is what they are really called.


1st August 2006

WOW!!
Rebekah, you are amazing and so focused! I love reading your bloggs and can't wait to see you in 13days! Love You mom

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb