I Predict a Riot - Part II!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

24 hours to go until I head off to the airport with a bag of things i will wish I had never bought in about 4 days time... and war is on.

My plane's destination - Bangkok - is a normally happy place, where I have made great friends in the past. But these past weeks, politcal protesters have surrounded the government buildings, demanding an end to the parliament, forcing the Prime Minister to flee in a helicopter and trying to install a non-democratic goverment!

Not content with a Political Coup, i also seem to be heading off to a War Zone, as Thailand and Cambodia are rattling their sabres at each other over a border dispute.
I intend to waltz across the border to Siam Reap and Angkor Wat, and i'm sure that as a western visitor on a route trodden by nearly a million of us every year, i will be safe.
Hopefully, there will be a higher army presence with all the extra fun that can be had by bribing soldiers for rides in tanks, shooting of rifles and the purchasing of uniform off the impoverished conscripts...

Makes me think of the print by Jamie Ried "Cheap Holidays In Other Peoples Misery".

24 hours to go before more adventures of The Crashpacker begin again... oh dear.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 26; qc: 115; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb