Outside Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand » Ubon Ratchathani
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dancin' in the streets 5 secs
2: Candle Festival Parade 5 secs
sleepy timesleepy timesleepy time

on the train to Katchanamburi
It has been over two weeks now since I have been in Thailand, a magical place that continues to astound me. It seems that every time I see something most stunning, we encounter something even more breathtaking. The accommodations and generosity shown towards us is outdone in every new place we go. The most enriching experiences are becoming more unique, and the most flavorful dishes are becoming more alive all the while unlikely opportunities are proven possible time and time again. I will do my best to some up the past week spent outside Bangkok.

7/11 On Friday we took a two hour train ride to the city of Kanchanaburi. We Spent the evening relaxing at our riverfront motel. Our bungalow lay directly on the water giving us an incredible view of the mountains.

7/12 The next day we toured the Hell Fire Pass Memorial Museum and grave site that document the construction of the Burma-Siam Death Railroad. The rest of the day was spent on a guided Moto-taxi tour of the magnificent cave temples hidden in the mountains surrounding the city. The day was completed with a sobering visit to the Bridge over River Kwai where we were
Riverside BungalowRiverside BungalowRiverside Bungalow

The bungalow we inhabbited in Katchanamburi lay along the river Kuai
able to stand on the bridge as the train passed by.

7/13 Our last day in Kanhanaburi. We were taken by some of Katja's friends to a national park that lay outside the city. We bathed in the crystal clear waters of a seven teared waterfall. As I was nibbled on by several fish I succeeded in climbing to the top of one of the waterfalls in my swimsuit. Ready to head north, we were taken back to Bangkok to catch a 12 hour train ride to the northeastern city of Ubon Ratchatani.

7/14 A train ride you only take once.
We arrived in the early morning, tired and hungry with bladders about to burst. As we walked through the train station we were met by plenty of stares by the locals all wondering the same thing..."what on earth possessed these foreigners to come here?" We were soon picked up by Katja's host sister who took us to her house where we spent the afternoon recovering. Later we were taken to our hotel (an old mental hospital) where we would stay the week.

7/15 Day trip to the national park where the Mekong and Moon rivers meet. Visited the sandstone caves that have 4,000 year old cave paintings. Took a boat ride on the Mekong, sailing in between the mountains of Thailand and Laos. We made our way back into Ubon where we visited the temples where the giant candles for the Ubon Candle Festival were being prepared. There were schools of children on class field trips to see the candles who had never met foreigners before and had us sign autographs for them. We got to take part in the action, carving out several pieces of wax that would be placed on the float. Later that night, Katja's friend Awn came over to the hotel and dressed us to the ninesin traditional Thai clothes, hair and makeup.

7/16 Visited the school Katja attended during her exchange. We were treated more like celebrities than clueless foreigners. I've never had so many camera phones pointing in my direction before. That night we went out for Thai style Korean BBQ with Katj's host family. Delicious!

7/17 Ate breakfast in a phone booth while waiting to be picked up by a "tucktuck" (a three wheeled mini-taxi). Got a two hour, full-body Thai massage. Went out for amazing
Death Railroad monumentDeath Railroad monumentDeath Railroad monument

Remembering the lives lost during the construction of the Burmese Railroad.
Vietnamese food. Spent the rest of the night at the Candle Festival where we wandered around taking pictures of all the magnificent wax masterpieces created by the various temples in the state of Ubon. I've included the link: http://202.57.163.51/tatfestival/minisite/july/en/home/index.html if anyone is interested in getting a better idea of what the candle festival is all about. I figured I do a poor job of explaining it given the fact that I am unable to load pictures at this internet cafe.


7/18 Went to the morning Candle festival Parade. Took lots of pictures. Got lots of pictures taken of us. Tonight we will catch a bus that will take us down to the island of Ko Chang....and so begins our tour of the south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dragon Mouth entrywayDragon Mouth entryway
Dragon Mouth entryway

To get to one of the cave temples, we had to scale through the mouth of a dragon.
Golden Buddha Golden Buddha
Golden Buddha

Atop the hills of Katchanamburi
Temple in the cloudsTemple in the clouds
Temple in the clouds

Atop the hills of Katchanamburi.
Dinner in KatchanamburiDinner in Katchanamburi
Dinner in Katchanamburi

One of the most memorable meals of the trip. It came complete with sweet and sour fish and the biggest shrimp I have ever seen.
beneath the waterfallbeneath the waterfall
beneath the waterfall

Climbing beneath the waterfall at oneof the lower levels of the seven teared waterfall.
12 hour train ride12 hour train ride
12 hour train ride

Salla and I putting on happy faces happy faces that didn't seem to last for long.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb