Bangkok - a day of gold and yellow


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
October 7th 2012
Published: October 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I could feel the power of the sun on my walk to the golden mount. This is a nineteenth century gold stupa with a view down over the city. It has more of a "Thai" feel; this means little statues of animals or people often laughing or smiling arranged very neatly in amongst the flowers and greenery and a set of bells. The street on the approach to the golden mount was full of woodworkshops especially door making shops. I was amused to see the football doors featuring Liverpool and Chelsea. Afterthe golden mount I followed a wide street that featured a Thai boxing stadium and several government departments all the way to the Dusit palace. The buildings here looked European in style. They are late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. This palace had tight security and restrictions on photographs and (in some areas) dress. This was all quite a palaver with having to use lockers for cameras and bags. Despite all that it was not too busy and there was plenty to see. The "gold" was a very strong feature in the Ananta Samakorum throne hall. This hall features very elaborate replicas of thrones, howdah's and ship models made by Thai craftspeople mainly from the Support foundation of Queen Sirikit. The "yellow" featured in the Vimanotek teak mansion. This is a royal mansion and is the largest teak mansion in the world. The furniture inside was ok, but it was the building itself with art deco features which was interesting. It had a very light airy feeling, unlike many mansions from the same era.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb