Hua Hin


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
January 1st 2011
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tira TiraaTira TiraaTira Tiraa

The hall outside our apartment door
We got a taxi from Bangkok for 2,500 bahts (£55) which is on the expensive side but suited our purpose and it was a new Toyota. The driver knew Hua Hin and brought us straight to the agency for our apartment, ‘Room by Room’. They took us to our condo which is newly built and absolutely fabulous. We have a large bed, balcony, 32” plasma, DVD, free WiFi, small kitchen and of course a shower. Communally we have two swimming pools, modern gym and sauna. All for £125 per week so we were well pleased.

Hua Hin is a town and not just a tourist resort so there are many shops, restaurants and bars not full of tourists. There is a market close by which is mainly for Thais and a night market which is definitely for the tourists. There are enough blind singers plying their trade on the night market to form a choir, though goodness knows what they would sound like! There is of course a girly bar area but it is hidden away so it is easy to avoid.

The night market is generally the cheapest place to eat but on its fringes are many stalls making food mainly for Thais, here you need shoes, as there are many rats which are not scared of you. We took to walking on the road. Down by the sea are the expensive hotels so also the more expensive restaurants, one night we went to a restaurant which was advertising Manchester United's game on big screen. As we were eating our meal across the floor runs a big rat. Terry took a photo but the staff just stamped their feet to make the rat return to its obvious hole in the wall. Just shows paying more does not guarantee a cleaner restaurant.


Thailand is not as cheap as it was but still about half the price of the UK for eating and drinking. Clothes though are almost the same as the UK. However you can get a cheap suit made at the ubiquitous asian tailors of which there are plenty.

The main beach is about 5km long and lovely fine white sand. At the Hilton end sunbeds seem to be 100 bahts each but we soon found some for 50 by walking further south. The beach has been getting smaller in the last couple of years and the locals say that the sea has been coming higher up the shore each year.

Songthaews (little trucks with seats) travel in all directions stopping whenever requested and at 10 bahts (22p) are the bargain of Hua Hin. The locals, being Thai, stand up for men and also foreigners, yes even children. Terry amuses them by standing up for any female, as his mum taught him. It goes down well though.

We like Hua Hin which is, as yet. not spoilt like almost all of Thailand's resorts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

On Monkey MountainOn Monkey Mountain
On Monkey Mountain

They bite Michelle!
Big BuddaBig Budda
Big Budda

The one without the hat.
Fun in the SeaFun in the Sea
Fun in the Sea

Local teenage girls who never stopped laughing but we could not understand the game.


8th January 2011

Thankyou
Thankyou for letting me view your blog. I Aways look forward to this and love to read your very honest opinion on where ever you go. I can almost smell the aromas from the food market, hear the traffic and chat in the streets, feel the sea air on my face and the warmth of the sun. I also love all your photos. Wonderful read.
8th January 2011

Smells
Thanks Janette but I do not think you would like the majority of the smells. At our 'bus stop' sometimes Michelle feels sick - rats and sewerage.
4th February 2011

thank you
Hello Michelle & Terry, I found your travelblog by chance and it seems that you had a great time in Hua Hin. Thank you for your kind words about the condo. If you decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact Monika or me again. Best regards Navid/GH Travel (the owner of the condos) www.tiratiraa.se

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 7; ; mem: 1.1mb