Brief stop in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
January 17th 2019
Published: January 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

UK to Thailand


We arrive in Bangkok late afternoon after a reasonable flight. We used to know the Bangkok transport system like the back of our hand but it’s been a long time since our last trip here and there is now a brand new airport train link as well as a metro. The lady at the information desk counsels us not to waste time and money on a taxi but to take the public transport instead. Slightly dubious, but always up for a challenge, we take her advice.

The self service ticket machines for the train turn out to be easy. Feed in a note and the machine spits out two plastic tokens and our change. Our holdalls on wheels cope with the escalators and the platform bunfight we had been expecting is not to be...the Thais are all lined up in neat rows by the doors and we even manage to secure seats inside. It’s all very civilised.

Six stops brings us to the train/metro interchange. Here we need to switch to the purple line of the metro. The same style machines dispense our tokens and we descend the escalators for a four stop ride on the metro.

We emerge at Lumphini station. Now to find our hotel. We are heading in the general direction but it’s quite busy so now we decide it’s time to take a taxi. I’m pretty sure we are being stung but I am past caring. A five minute ride and we are there! Yes we were definitely stung!

It’s 6pm and we take a walk down the Silom Road to find the tailor that we have been using for years. We find the shop but there is no one at home. Strange as the door is open and the lights are on. We wait around fifteen minutes before giving up. There are plenty more tailors on this road so we just choose another. Dad has asked us for a couple of pairs of trousers and we have brought his measurements hoping we have done it correctly. Two fabrics selected and a price agreed, we leave the job in (what we hope is) their capable hands and tell them we will be back in three weeks time to collect!

Now for some food. We are pleased to note that ‘Mama’ still has her street restaurant and has, in fact, expanded. At least some things don’t change. We sit down for freshly cooked fish and chips, mmmm delicious! Then it’s back to the hotel for a great nights kip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb