Jungletastic


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Phu Toei NP
June 16th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

first campsitefirst campsitefirst campsite

where we stayed on monday
so heres what i've been up to since last monday

after leaving the golf resort in the we had about a 2 1/2 hour journey to phu toei national park. it was a mountainous area with various campsites spread out over kilometres. the first place we camped at was by far the worse. it was bug capital of the world, 5 different types of ant, the odd spider, and some friendly mosquitos made it an uncomfortable nights sleep for some. Me and ben were ok because we set up our tent properly in a non ant zone, but pretty much everyone else got infested with the blighters, there was a lot of kerfuffle at about 4am when people had ants on them and stuff, so there was a lot of tired legs the next morning. funny story mind i was brushing my teeth the next morning, i spat down the 'sink' and about 2 minutes later a stag beetle about the length of a middle finger and as fat as a mars bar came crawling out - and he was covered in toothpaste, i cleaned the poor fella off, he didnt look best pleased.

tuesday morning was our first
first waterfallfirst waterfallfirst waterfall

seen at the trekking on tuesday
trek, we took a pickup to what seemed a random point of forrestry, and with our guide we went into the green. we walked up a steady incline for about 4 hours, climbing over various obstacles like bamboo, and climbing waterfalls using vines to hoist ourselves up. when we got to the final waterfall it was very rewarding, and most of us jumped in to clean off the layers of sweat we had accumulated during the day, eurgh. we then had a new campsite which was near the waterfall which would be our home for the next three nights. this place was much nicer with no bugs, apart from a guy called joe who would flirt with all the girls and spend the rest of the time molestering ben.

wednesday we climbed up a place called angel mountain. it was very steep. was 1053m up, and we reckoned that we walked approximately 3200m, so you mathmeticians out there will realise that it was quite an incline, needless to say we were all knackered when we got to the top. it started to rain so it made the going back a lot harder, i stacked once, and other people hit the deck a lot more!!

thursday we were meant to go to the wildlife reserve, but after walking down there we found out that it was too dangerous because of the tigers were nearby or something, so we missed out on seeing them, and the elephants and bears, it was a shame, but since we had an awesome week anyway people didnt mind too much, and id rather return to england with all my limbs.

friday we had a home stay near a dam. probably the nicest place i had been to so far. a fond memory will always be sitting in the beach hut overlooking the resevoir and seeing the mountains while having a whisky and coke.

saturday we stayed at a hotel in sunphan buri, was nice to have some recovery time. and then sunday we made our way over to ko samet which is where i am writing from now. it is a wonderful place, and i will take some phots to show you guys soon.

good news steve/yas i did some conditioning at 6am this morning, its the coldest time of the day, i plan to do it for the next few
third waterfakkthird waterfakkthird waterfakk

it was awesomes
weeks and should be in reasonable shape for nats.

remember, its my birthday tomorrow, i hope you have your presents at the ready! we are having a james bond theme night (because apparently im really smooth and i dont give much away (cue the laughter back at home)

drop us some comments!!

jon xx






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

mistymisty
misty

angel mountain in teh background
a cavea cave
a cave

one of the caves we went trekking to
angel mountainangel mountain
angel mountain

very knackered after this walk
the hammockthe hammock
the hammock

happy days


16th June 2008

yey
Good to hear you're thinking about nats (we're going in in 3rd place now - darn people from Hull niped in front of us). Meh, we'll still rule! Happy birthday for tomorrow!!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb