Samkhok School Festivities, June 2010


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Pathum Thani
December 18th 2010
Published: December 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

kidskidskids

at play in the downstairs classroom
Shortly after arriving in Thailand, we began teaching in the English Program (EP) at Samkhok School, a public/government school located in a country village in Pathum Thani Province north of Bangkok. The school grounds had a large main building in front for administration and exclusively Thai classrooms, and a smaller building in back of that, .used for the English Program and additional Thai classes. These two buildings housed the Mattayom students (grades 7-12 in the US). Across the street was the Pathum building for the younger kids (basically Kindergarten through grade 6 in the US). Between the two Mattayom buildings was a large open area, where most of the ground was smoothed over and construction of additional school buildings had begun.

The festival was held in early June and many hundreds attended, including the Mayor-Lord (the head political authority locally) and several other dignitaries from the surrounding areas. Various competitions and events were held throughout the school grounds, including a singing competition on a recently constructed stage adjacent to the pond and the Buddhist temple, Wat Ban Ngiw ("wot bahn nyew"), located next to the school.

The festival began early, about 7:30-8:00 a.m. It was already hot, and would become hotter. Fortunately, many activities occurred on the stage and in the shaded main area in front of the building that houses the EP -- an area normally used by the students for laying about, outdoor lunches, art activities, and general kids' mayhem. Several large, mature trees throughout this area keep most of the direct sunlight away.

In front of the pond, adjacent to the stage, a Buddhist exhibit was erected and several Buddhist monks perched there on elevated seating, cross-legged, surrounded by various Buddhist shrine images, figurines, and etc. Throughout the entire area long tables had been placed and various food and drink was served. Dozens of plastic chairs provided additional seating and many of the kids simply sat on the ground. One table was placed directly in front of the stage to accommodate the three VIPs who judged the singing competition.

School administrators and our employers requested that the new EP teachers prepare some ongoing English activities (primarily games) for the festival, to be held inside classrooms or in makeshift booths on the smoothed-over future construction area.

We were also asked to perform some karaoke (yes, karaoke!) onstage. So, we did. The newly-formed and quickly
kidskidskids

on the school stairway
disbanded Samkhok Swingers (my moniker only, mea culpa, etc.) featured Amanda and Bob on a duet of "Hotel California;" Bob going solo on "Fly Me To The Moon;" and the group's grand finale, a singalong of (gulp) "YMCA." Teachers not swinging in front of the stage (Ashley, Dan, Hodge, Whitney and Joy, a fellow teacher and native of India) ably performed backup singing and dancing duties, and Dan pranced about on an air guitar solo.

The audience seemed to enjoy our portion of the show and we were content when it was over. A few minutes later Pan, one of the EP teachers who is Thai (and fortunately for us also speaks fluent English) informed us that the Mayor-Lord, the Governor's aide and other folks were busy elsewhere and didn't see our performance. Would we sing more karaoke for them? (could we say no to that?) In our short practice time we had put together three songs only, so now what? We quickly pieced together a couple of tunes, got back onstage, and gave it our best shot. Apparently it went OK, although I never saw the Mayor-Lord or the attendant dignitaries we sang for; I assume they were
kidskidskids

walking along the construction site
hanging out in the shade.

Finally finished with our karaoke duties, we disbanded and mingled with other festival-goers and helped out with EP activities.





Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

kidskids
kids

apple bobbing for English words
Ashley and PanAshley and Pan
Ashley and Pan

barrel bobbing experts
stagestage
stage

The feared and revered School Activities Director with one of the singing competitors
The Samkhok SwingersThe Samkhok Swingers
The Samkhok Swingers

r u ready 2 rock (well, sort of)
on stageon stage
on stage

that's entertainment


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb