Christmas Festival Day 12-24-2010


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Nonthaburi
December 29th 2010
Published: December 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

(note: Originally intended to present these blogs in chronological order but...blahblahblah...eventually the blogs will become more “time-orderly.” Also, regarding video quality, "it is what it is." mea culpa)

I currently teach English at Sacred Heart Nonthaburi, a Catholic school in northern Bangkok and, as usual, started my work day with a motorcycle taxi ride to work -- copy/paste following link to see video:


On Friday a Christmas festival was held on school grounds. Although Thailand is largely a Buddhist country and does not recognize Christmas per se as a holiday season, our school certainly does. Many smaller events preceded the Friday festival (which was open to all the students and their families) -- class activities conducted on the big stage; group lessons in learning and singing of Christmas carols, beginning basics of Xmas themes, etc.

One goal of the festivities, as told to me by one of the Sisters: “Of course, almost all of the kids are raised Buddhist, but even though they don’t really know anything about the deeper meanings of Christmas we want them to remember it as a fun time of year. Later they may become interested in finding out more, and they will have fond memories of the Christmas holidays.”

A large stage was constructed at one end of the playground/multi-purpose area. People throughout the school pitched in during preparations, and elaborate "designer" booths with games and other activities were created for the big Friday event.

For a video of a small portion of the event, copy/paste here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/robert1114390#p/a/u/0/-pArKEjI0No

A ferris wheel and carousel were trucked in, along with giant blow-up slides for the kids to play on.

Food and drink stalls lined the sidewalks adjacent to the main festival area.

Music, dance and other group entertainments started the day; after that, the various activity booths competed to entice students to "come over and play." Teachers and Teacher Assistants took turns helping at the English Program activities booth. Kids participated to win a series of small prizes and entry into a drawing held later in the day for the grand prize – a nifty MP3 player.

Naturally, the ferris wheel, carousel and slides were a big attraction, as were the street vendors with their food, drink and delectable munchies of various kinds. The day was frenetic, fun, and LOUD.

Belated Happy holidays everyone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Motorcycle taxi driver hangoutMotorcycle taxi driver hangout
Motorcycle taxi driver hangout

Just outside of Champs entrance
Shyr, Melissa, Rani and AmeliaShyr, Melissa, Rani and Amelia
Shyr, Melissa, Rani and Amelia

Shyr -- Phillippines; Melissa -- South Africa; Rani and Amelia -- United States
Bauj and Khun PimBauj and Khun Pim
Bauj and Khun Pim

Khun Pim is CEO of Ideal English Academy, our employer
Mr. HappyMr. Happy
Mr. Happy

David -- Scotland (note to students: don't let Mr. Grumpy come out)
Bob and HarryBob and Harry
Bob and Harry

Bob -- US; Harry -- South Africa
Thun and NokThun and Nok
Thun and Nok

Thai Teacher Assistants (TA) extraordinaire to English Program (EP)
SertSert
Sert

TA and MC Sert, giving away the EP prizes


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb