Island Bums and Deadly Buckets


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Island life and The Bucket.

After the plane ride, the taxi haggle, the ride, the boat haggle, and finally the boat ride, we reached the beach/port of Koh Samet, an island 3 hours east of Bangkok. This was a new island for me so, so I was eager to check it out, comparing it with the previous of islands Thailand has shared with me. I booked something in advance, probably one of the nicer places on the island, on a very chill, yet entertaining beach. The place is the most expensive I have spent in Thailand, but as it was Jaika’s first trip, and my first beach treat this year, so I felt a little splurge wouldn’t be bad. It was about $45. For Thailand that’s a lot. I think about what $45 will get you in the US. If you’re lucky you’d get some kitschy motel, that’s probably seen more hookers then housekeepers. Needless to say the place is great. Paid a little extra for the beach front bungalow, with a porch, where we’ve spent a fair bit of time reading sipping a beer, as the thunder rolls in.

The days hear have been mellow to say the least. A busy day is breakfast, sun, swim, massage, internet, eat more, have a few drinks, and sleep.

Haven’t met too many people here, as it is the low season. I did meet this old (60s) Swiss man that now lives out side of Bangkok. We talked for a bit, and voiced his thoughts about a town called Pattaya, which is just south of him. Pattaya is the reason Thailand has a reputation as a sex tourism destination. Its old fat German men, with cheap Thai Viagra, and 17 year old girls on each arm; the “dates” if you will. We both agreed that that scene is sick. I haven’t paid it a visit to see with my own eyes, but I had a taste in Phuket. Its towns likes Pattaya that have given the west a misrepresentation of what Thailand is all about. It’s like reading People Magazine, and thinking that everyone in LA rolls around in 100K BMW, spinning rims, diamond rings and Paris Hilton’s number on speed dial.

One thing that did catch my eye about this man was his arm, or lack of. He told me had been a circus worker, and lost it to a tiger. He performed in Vegas (and all over the world) and was friends with Sig and Roy, and like Roy’s attack, he turned his back on the tiger, and with one bite, no more arm.

Yesterday I rented an Automatic moped to take for a little spin around the island. The majority of it is a national park, so I thought a bike ride through the back roads would be cool. It was very cool, but as soon as my TINY street tires left the concrete surface it s was mud, and rock, and LOTS of water, which for a “bike” like this wasn’t easy. Imagine trying to mountain bike with a 10 speed; Steep hills, and surfaces that look a bit like Manuel Norega’s face almost brought on a small wipe out, but I was able to pull through. It was a nice ride, just out on an island, cruising. I did catch a glimpse of a snake slithering away from the road, but that was the extent of the wild life.

Heading back to Bangkok tomorrow; Jiaka leaves on Wend, and I basically have no plans, which is nice. Things have been semi planned for the beginning portion of the trip, but the second part was to be a bit more improved. I know I want to go to Cambodia and Laos.

Sam and Jess are heading to Koh Pnang in a day or two for the Full Moon Party (the 20th anniversary which will be huge). I had been debating on going down there to meet them, and also see The Ron, from LA. I did it on my first trip, and as much fun as I had, I have decided against it. I love the island, probably my favorite in Thailand, but I have probably killed enough brain cells from the first full moon party to last a life time. And I am getting old…er…..even at 25 (first trip) I felt the pain that the Full Moon Party inflicted on me for the days to follow. Now as I approach 30…I am opting for something else. I have decided to catch a flight to Cambodia, something that is new for me.

I recently read a great book - “First They Killed My Father” - a memoir from a girl who grew up under the Pol Pot Days. Since that book, I have had a serious fascination with its history.

I also thought, maybe save a few days at the end for some Thai beaches before I swing home. That’s the plan at least…we’ll see…..cause there really isn’t a plan, except I have a ticket to Cambodia on the 27th.

-dylan


Advertisement



25th June 2007

Siam Reap
Dylan! I have a dude you HAVE to call if you're looking for a guide for Ankor. He doesn't give a cheesy "guided" tour, but will pick you up in his motorbike/trailer and take you to all the sites, and provide as much info as you want him to. We adopted him for the 3 days we were there - he knew when to hit the different spots at the least busiest times, etc. His name is Sam and Melissa and I fell in love with him. I could totally see you guys hitting it off - he's about our age (probably younger) and has some crazy stories of Pol Pot, etc. I have his card/number somewhere. I'll have a look and see.
25th June 2007

Travel on and keep the bloggs coming.
26th June 2007

Ankor guide
Give me his info, sounds like a great way to "see" things. i usually hate the cheesy guide thing, so that sounds awesome
26th June 2007

beach
man, does that beach sound about perfect. those are the ultimate days you had there. doesn't get much better...enjoy.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb