Final Falang!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ko SametKo SametKo Samet

Thailand for tourists. Its not actually that bad really, were just spoilt!
No more sunshine!!!

Well, we’re nearly there. Our final country, our final journey, and now our final blog!!

After a long but uneventful overnight train journey from Vientiane to Bangkok, immediately followed by a posh mini-bus from Bangkok to Ko Samet, we were looking forward to our final 2 weeks of globe-trotting, which would be spent topping up our tans, and getting well and truly sickened by Thai food!

We weren’t immediately impressed by Ko Samet. After rave reviews by friends and travelers we were expecting another postcard perfect desert island (ala Ko Lipe), when we arrived off the ferry I immediately looked for my mark of a quality island - tropical fish swimming in crystal clear-blue water underneath the pier, only to be surprised at the reality of plastic bags and oily grey water, with a stench of rubbish. Still, giving it the benefit of the doubt, we made our way down the island, and into the national park area, where we stayed at a beach called Ao Tub Tim which was definitely better.

Ko Samet definitely has its share of tourist trip restaurants and brothely bars, but we made the most of our time.
Ko MakKo MakKo Mak

Proper desert island stuff...
James having immense fun zipping up and down the island on a moped, with Karen grimacing on the back feeling every bump! Our time on Ko Samet somewhat spoilt by James picking up an ear infection in his particularly waxy right ear. Finest example of brain bleed. The MOST excruciating pain experienced in all my adult life!! Our time ended hectically with a trip to the island clinic (no use whatsoever), and a referral to the mainland doctor, who prescribed me with all manner of dodgy looking pills. Nevertheless, great service! No appointment, 10 minute wait, and total cost of 4GBP.

We overnighted at a nice guesthouse above an Irish pub whilst James went through the worst of his pain. Next day, we got a taxi round the coast to catch a speed-boat to our last beach stop - the island of Ko Mak, which we were hoping would not let us down after Ko Samet…

…and it didn’t! Much better stuff! A chilled out atmosphere, no tacky bars, hardly any tourists, great sunsets, and a lovely shack on the seafront. This is the life! Swinging on my hammock looking out over the sea!! More nipping about on
Ko MakKo MakKo Mak

Final sunset
another rented moped. Think this is another of our top traveling tips; it’s definitely the best way to see places!

Unfortunately didn’t get chance to do any more diving, which we were hoping for, due to James dodgy ear - hay ho! Can’t have everything!!!

So, no more beaches as we headed on a 6 hour bus journey back to our final destination - Bangkok. We had booked ourselves into a lush 4 star hotel called the Grand Mecure, so we could ease ourselves back into a civilized lifestyle (hot water, daily showers, clean towels and shaves). Spent most of our final 2 days sight-seeing by taxi. Given up all efforts at budgeting now, as we know its all coming to an end!!! Headed to the shops for some last minute purchases, James purchase of a green shirt was somewhat undermined by the presence of 6’3” lady-man sales assistant. Good legs but.

Re-visited our favorite restaurant in Thailand - the Mango Tree. Had another cracking meal there. James getting quite blotto’d on a bottle of wine due to a weeks abstinence and the effects of the anti-biotics. Did some night sight-seeing around Pat Pong (or Ping Pong
Ko MakKo MakKo Mak

Our home on the beach!!
as some call it) including a semi-fake Thai boxing match which was good for a laugh!

So, we wind up this final blog whilst traveling, as we wait for our midnight flight from Bangkok to Blighty, with a mixture of sadness at leaving a lifestyle we have come to love, and excitement at the new life that awaits us (monday mornings, telephone bills, beans on toast, off-milk). Especially looking forward to seeing all our friends, family and pets (Beth), some of which have been avid readers of the JimandKaz blog, and some of which have looked at the pictures, but couldn’t be arsed to read the text. Fair play to you all!!!

See you all soon. Thanks for reading. It’s been emotional.

Rave Safe Kids,

JimandKaz (crying into their final Singha beers)
xxx







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Fake Thai Boxing... always good for a laff!!


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb