Koh Chang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
January 23rd 2009
Published: January 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

P1000658P1000658P1000658

Our palace on wheels from Bangkok to Koh Chang!
Again we woke early, walked down to Kailie's hostel and were picked up by a mini bus. The mini bus dropped us off at round about in the city center because at some point a panel of traffic experts decided this would be the best location to load 55 person buses in prime morning traffic! After much unnecessary confusion we made we were on our way to Koh Chang, a little island off the coast of Thailand for some much needed R&R after all the traveling we'd been doing.
The bus ride was great, we had the whole bottom level of the coach to ourselves so we could sprawl out and enjoy the ride. At one point they decided a bus full of grown adults would like to watch Herbie but thankfully we had full access to the power button on the front of the TV.
The bus dropped us off in a city called Trat 5 short hours later. From Trat we caught a huge ferry that took about 30 mins. to cross over to the island, once on the island we caught a taxi (truck bed with seats on either side) and took it about 35 mins. to our
P1010091P1010091P1010091

The lone fisherman at dusk....as far as I saw he didn't catch anything!
location on Lonely Beach. Upon arrival to our accommodations on Lonely Beach we instantly realized that it had no beach, you can see our confusion in the matter! This place was very relaxing nonetheless, so we grabbed dinner, had some drinks and got some sleep so we could search out a beach in the morning.
When morning came we packed our bags and headed North on Lonely Beach to locate accomodations on a beach, after a 15 minute walk through the woods we found a place called Siam Huts with exactly two bungalows left and they were side by side so we booked those ASAP. From here we dropped our bags and let our vacation begin!
Things went great until we decided to rent Kayaks and head out to some near by islands. I thought this would be a great time to fill everyone in on a time that my friend Phil rented a Kayak in Fiji. This story involved Phil's Kayak not having a plug in the bottom, the Kayak sinking at dusk and him treading water waiting for a motorboat to come save him. This story was amusing to myself as well as Bryan and our new friend
P1010124P1010124P1010124

Such a cozy resort!
Mike until our Kayak started to sink at dusk beacuse there was no plug in it! One person had to be in the water while the other two sat on the Kayak or we would all fall off because it had taken on so much water. Luckly Kailie and her two friends were on another Kayak and took off towards shore to let them know that we were sinking. After about 2 hours 3 boats came at once to help us, unfortunately one was a party boat with like 100 people on it and they were all at the front of the boat blocking the sun from there vision and asking if we were okay. They put us in the boat and towed the Kayak in behind, once on shore they emptied like 30 gallons of water out.
I didn't see a whole lot more of Koh Chang because I got extremely sick. I laid in bed for two days and my temperature topped out at 39.5 on a Celcius thermometer, which I later found out converts to 103.1 degrees. I knew it was high but not that high!
One day on the way into one of the villages I
P1010141P1010141P1010141

My first Thai Beach!
saw some wild monkeys which was really cool, they were playing on the electrical lines so apparently there mother was not around. The bus ride back was not as good as the way there. We were in the upstairs part crammed in with all the other passangers and the A/C was anything but good, plus I was still pretty sick. We pushed through and made it to Bangkok just in time to wait 4 hours for our night train up to Chiang Mai to arrive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

P1010155P1010155
P1010155

Does this one really need a caption?


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb