Ko Chang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
July 17th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We decided to leave the beach in Cambodia after the bad weather (am not liking typhoons!) and head back into Thailand for a bit of sun!! The only thing we were dreading was the journey out........ through the border town of Koh Kong! Luckily the roads were a lot better than the journey in.... except for the four ferry crossings which were quite funny! The first one had 3 boats tied together with wood, rope and possibly a bit of glue...... it’s was all very blue peter! This managed to take our bus and several others across the river! The other side was quite amusing as the bus got stuck in all the mud and we were ordered off the bus! We both looked at each other and jumped down barefoot into the mud..... sinking quite deep into it! MINGIN!!

After 10 hours on the road, we arrived at Ko Chang, Thailand’s 2nd biggest Island. The island is very hilly and mostly covered in Jungle, except for several beach resorts with stunning beaches. For the past 3 weeks before we arrived it had poured down everyday..... a bit like England we hear... although we have had day after day of bright blue skies....GORGEOUS!!

We planned to move to another part of the island called Lonely beach which is meant to be more backpackery and we also wanted to explore the island. A bike seemed a good idea, as the roads are quiet and no tuk tuks in sight. Mark decided to take it for a spin to get the hang of it before I got on the back unfortunately he had got a good grip of the throttle and could not find the break as I saw him shoot off to the other side of the road, narrowly missing a car and conveniently parking it in-between two parked bikes. To his credit the brake didn't work. I was left hysterically laughing on the side of the kerb as we cleared the hiring shop of any potential customers! The people who we hired the bike from had a great sense of relief when we eventually returned that afternoon.

Ko Chang translates to elephant island so off we went elephant trekking. Typical that we managed to get the biggest and hungriest elephant there! Mounting the elephant was a bit scary but once on and moving it wasn't too bad. They seem really slow and gentle and at the end we got to feed them, it was really cool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



22nd July 2007

Stunning pictures!
Wow! So much done and only 2 weeks into your trip. Great blog btw, I'll only be viewing it on sunny days in the future as it can be somewhat depressing otherwise. Take care and keep up the stubbornness :D

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb