Our First Island: Koh Chang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The most repeated quote from Koh Chang: "We could get use to this".

This place is amazing! We left Trat for a ferry to Koh Chang what seems like a century ago. Time on this beautiful island seems to pass by without being recognized. We settled down in what we were told was the quitest and best part of the island, "Lonely Beach". An immediate confirmation of this came when we were the last ones on the taxi that took all other beach goers to their destinations.

It took us all of 15 minutes before we were swimming in the clear ocean water. The temperature is great, somewhere around the mid-high 70's; warm enough to be comfortable and refreshing from the outside heat. That night we enjoyed the Bungalow's nightly BBQ while we drank Thai whisky and watched a fire show, " We could get use to this".

The next day we rented kayaks to explore the smaller islands off Koh Chang. On one we found a private beach lined with coconut trees. While Erin gracefully swam, I decided it would be fun to open a cocunut. After searching through the trees for a fresh one I labored for a good half an hour until I was drinking the milk from the cocunut I conqured. Very rewarding!

The next day we wanted to explore the island some more so we rented motorbikes. Our goal was to find another guesthouse on the opposite side of the island. This turned out to be a much more daunting task then we had expected. After about three hours of following the signs for the guesthouse the paved road turned to dirt. We attempted a ways farther, then decided that we were in too much pain to continue. We turned around and concluded what ended up being about a six hour motorbike ride. The scenery was amazing though and we saw our first monkey and elephant.

Today we spent simply going back and forth from our towels and books on the beach to the ocean. There was also some great snacking (The food here is AMAZING). We managed to sneak in a beautiful sunset too.

Our next plan is to get to the other guesthouse on the eastern side of the island via boat taxi tomorrow. On Sunday we are going leave the island and revisit Trat, then head up to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand for some jungle adventures.

Hope all is well, we miss ya.

Mike & Erin




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

KayakingKayaking
Kayaking

"Erin, would you please put the camera down and help me row!"
Underwater Photography???Underwater Photography???
Underwater Photography???

Thanks Dad!!! The underwater case for the camera works perfect! Dry as a bone.
View From Our BungalowView From Our Bungalow
View From Our Bungalow

Not bad for $10 dollars a night.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The only thing more beautiful than the sunset: Erin.


11th January 2007

Lucky
Your holding up well under the demanding strain. This will serve you well in the future. Keep up the good work.
11th January 2007

Looking good
Couldn't agree more about the beauty of Erin - you are looking pretty good yourself my son. This adventure seems to agree with the both of you. It is a joy to see photos and read your messages. Keep safe - keep having fun..
11th January 2007

Love the scooter.......
Everthing looks amazing. Great pictures. By the way, I would really love to see some shots of Michael trying on scooter helmets. Love ya-Paul
12th January 2007

Glad you made it safely. Have a great time and be safe. Love the pictures. Love, Donna H.
13th January 2007

Wish I were chillaxin too!
Just got back from Canada and while you guys were enjoying your sunny beach days I was enjoying a few extra days in Saskatoon thanks to the worst blizzard (total white out) in 50 years! Temperatures on Thur and Fri were 20-30 degrees below zero. Grandma is good and sends her love. Got your message last night. It was so good to hear your voice. Keep having a blast. Love Mom
17th January 2007

WOW!!!
Hey! It sure looks like you are having fun. Keep it up. Hae some for me. Allan

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb