Bangkok Strikes Back.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 9th 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Returned to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi, with Dave and Pete still on board, Went to the Lumpinee stadium which is one of the best places to catch Muay Thai in its truest form. Muay Thai has some similarities to boxing in the west although once you start watching it is clear it isn't just boxing with the opportunity to use your legs thrown in. The art has been developed over it is believed to be at least 2000 years old. Basically any part of the body with the exception of the head is seen as a potential weapon, the fist, the elbow, the knee and the feet. It can get brutal at times, during one fight one of the fights did a spinning elbow which if it had connected it probably would have sent the other guys head into orbit. We also saw a championship match with the champion. This isn't pussyfooting about boxing where someone fights twice a year, the champion has to fight 3 TIMES a WEEK just to retain his title!!! The bloke was absolutely ripped all over the place.
Its a great experience well worth checking out if you come to Bangkok and facy doing something other than
Lumpinee Staduim, BangkokLumpinee Staduim, BangkokLumpinee Staduim, Bangkok

Tradional Warm Up before the fight....
wandering the Khao San Road all night. The stadium atmostphere is great as well, like a football ground theres different areas which attract different people. We sat ringside which was where most westerners sit and rich Thais, a bit like the prawn sandwich brigade at old trafford. Then there was the seating behind us which was a bit like the family stand. On the opposite side of the stadium was the cheapest seats and there was where nearly all of the noise came from. Its like the stretford end or the Holte end. It looked an absolute riot in there and I wish we'd sat there in the end.
The champion won and afterwards you could have pictures taken with him, in the locker room. I towered above him and I could see in the whites of his eyes he was really scared of me cause of my long reach...Yeah Right. I think he'd probably knock me into the ground like a lanky tentpeg.
Went round Wat Po which is next to the grand palace the next day, really cool place, saw the 45 metre long, 15 metre high reclining buddha. Dave's getting a bit buddha'd off with all the temples but I'm ok. I reckon Buddha had got to be the most chilled guy ever. I'd want him as a mate. Got blessed by a Monk, got holy water thrown at us (Hint... Close Eyes next time) and had another band tied to my arm, all this luck on my arm I need to do the lottery! Spent about half an hour sitting down with an absolute stinging hangover, I really need to start picking my days for a brew, Big religious things like the vatican and Wat Po, I have the worst hangovers.
We'd been meaning to go to the grand Temple but everytime we'd go it was either closed to westerners or just closed in General. Finally walked round it with a couple of Americans, Jason and the other name escapes me. They were really cool, we spent half the day trying to get them to say 'awsome!!!' in the amercian accent but they weren't going for it. Went out with them on the town on the night. Classic 'Stu' moment when I stood next to the Chang beer tower on the table and said there was two towers in the room. The two americans were from
Lumpinee Stadium, BangkokLumpinee Stadium, BangkokLumpinee Stadium, Bangkok

Tradional Warm Up before the fight....
New York. mmmmmm Cringe away stu!!
Apart from that we generally bummed around and felt like crap from the night before. Starting to get a bit bored of Bangkok to be honest. Seem to have a constant 'film' of dirt, car exhaust fumes, Thai Kebab spice smell on my skin which is immune to all shower products. Although to be fair the kebab smell is worth it. All I'll say is: Chicken Kebab. 29 Baht. At least 12 eaten in Bangkok during the duration of my stay. Come and get your dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lumpinee Stadium BangkokLumpinee Stadium Bangkok
Lumpinee Stadium Bangkok

He's on the ropes!!!!
Lumpinee Stadium, BangkokLumpinee Stadium, Bangkok
Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok

This is the current champion. He is one tough Cookie. I still reckon I could beat him with my reach....er maybe not!
Lumpinee Stadium, BangkokLumpinee Stadium, Bangkok
Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok

I reckon this lad would still beat all of us in the ring in a 4-on-one royal rumble...
Brummies, Londoners, Mancs and Americans Collide,  BangkokBrummies, Londoners, Mancs and Americans Collide,  Bangkok
Brummies, Londoners, Mancs and Americans Collide, Bangkok

From Left to right, Suzanne, dunno!, Gemma, Jason, Me, Michelle, Dave.
Reclining Buddha, Wat PoReclining Buddha, Wat Po
Reclining Buddha, Wat Po

15 Metres hight and 45 Metres long, his feet are bigger than mine!!!
The Hitcher, Wat PoThe Hitcher, Wat Po
The Hitcher, Wat Po

Its the Cockney Hitcher from The Mighty Boosh! "You love it you slags!"
Me and a Guard, Grand PalaceMe and a Guard, Grand Palace
Me and a Guard, Grand Palace

Bit like the Queens Regiment in London, they aren't allowed to move. Although I wouldn't want to piss this bloke around, look at the rifle he's holding!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb