Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 1st 2015
Published: May 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

BangkokBangkokBangkok

Great view and we can watch the hectic river traffic from the comfort of our air-conditioned room.
There's no doubt that travel makes you appreciate things, such as clean air, a fork (my chopstick skills are improving but I still find canned peach slices and round, slippery vegetables tricky), Thai curries that aren't full of fat, skin and bone, peace and quiet - or, when a place is busy, crowds that move around in an orderly and civilized manner, people that can converse without yelling at each other, sit down toilets, Earl Grey tea, and I could go on but you get the idea.

It's hot in Bangkok. Yesterday afternoon reached 36 degrees C and we were glad to get back to our hotel midafternoon to remove our sweaty clothes and shower. Our hotel room on the 21st floor has a great view of the very busy Chawphaya River, which we have seen spelled in various ways. We have visited several temples, seen countless Buddha's, and toured the river and assorted canals lined with houses on stilts - some quite grand and some about to fall into the river.

Although the Thai are mostly Buddhists, they have a small Muslim population, some Hindus, and I think a few Catholics, and our guide is proud of the fact that the children all go to the same schools and everyone gets along. Perhaps we are making a mistake in Canada by having children of different religions attend separate schools.



We're told the rainy season begins around the middle of May so hopefully we'll have moved on by the time it arrives.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb