weds day 12


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 30th 2015
Published: January 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

For todays tour i got picked up from the hotel, they said 06.15 - they arrived at 07.00!! Could have spent a bit longer in bed - oh well. So went round to pick up everyone else and eventually headed out to see the bridge over the river kwai, walked across it while chatting to robin - an English person, also on the trip!! And got some photos - but the bridge was really marred by getting to chat to someone - finally!!! We then went on to do a spot of bamboo rafting, which was very short and sweet - 5 mins being rowed one way and then got towed back!! The first thing ive experienced that wasn't really worth the money! We were then onto see a waterfall which was huge with local kids playing in it, we could have gone in also but didn't have a lot of time before onto our last stop. The final thing of the day was the best, it was to go and see a stretch of railway line called the death railway. Over 150,000 prisoners of war died building this line, due to hunger, poor sanitary conditions and ill health during the second world war. Part of the line is a massive wooden structure stretching up the side of a cliff face which we got to walk along and then catch the train as it precariously makes its way across and then back onto main land, its a regular route that's used 10 times a day, everyday. For such horrors that it caused, its quite beautiful.






























we arrived back to khao san road for 18.30, went for a bite to eat and a drink with robin ( a really nice chap from fleet, was made redundant from financial services so went travelling around Thailand for a month - is leaving to go home in 2 days, so unfortunately no further plans to meet up ) wished each other all the best and i got a taxi back to the hotel, even showing taxi drivers where you want to go on a map and giving the name of the place in Thai, they still shake their heads and make out they don't know where you want to go!!!! Note to self - not to get too many taxis around Bangkok!! Another early start tomz - starting with a taxi ride..............!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb