Day 1: Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 20th 2013
Published: October 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a very easy 11 hour flight, followed by a manic dash in an ageing Merc through the suburbs (pretty much like any airport city run, apart from the occasional Buddhist temple) we arrived at the Viengtai Hotel in downtown Bangkok. On the way in was a huge poster asking people not to have tattoos of the Buddha, or buy merchandise of him. I can't see that idea taking off in Rome! But really nice to see the respect being shown to the principle Thai religion.

The initial group meeting introduced us to our leader Alif and our fellow travellers for the next two weeks - two other Brits, an American, two Germans and an Aussie. Ages from 20s to 60+. Plus there's two Canadians joining tomorrow. Then across the road to a fab restaurant where our bill, including excellent large Singha beers, was 395 baht - that's £8! We all seem to get along really well, which bodes well for the trip. Food was delicious BTW.

Sally and I then took a walk around the block - some block! An amazing cocktail of sights, smells and sounds. Bars, restaurants, Thai massage parlours, street food vendors. We had some delicious pineapple for pennies. Not as overwhelming as India, but much more inclusive. We felt duty bound to stop and soak in the atmosphere. And try some Chang beer of course.

You can view some pictures from today here.

The weather? A very sultry 32 degrees. Thank goodness for air-con in the hotel room!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0999s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb