Clubbing with a 64yr old


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 16th 2013
Published: July 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After 15 hours, 2 flights with no TV, 1 hour sleep, losing my Kindle, being returned my Kindle by the very efficient Vietnam airways staff, and a train and a taxi, I've finally arrived in Bangkok!

My first day consisted of sleeping and sweating mostly - the humidity is ridiculous, however I ventured out in the evening after meeting up with Jess, an old schoolfriend, for the first time in years. After strolling down memory lane, seeing how the streets I was familiar with during my stay in 2009 have changed, we found a table outside for dinner - none other than a version of Pad Thai!

After dinner, and as it was Jess's birthday, we headed to good old Koh San Road for a few cocktails, where after a few drinks we got chatting to, and subsequently drinking and smoking shisha with, a really fun group of backpackers on the next table for the whole night, including the aforementioned Swiss 64yr old who ended up inviting us to 'The club' next door!

Day 2 consisted of wandering around the streets of Bangkok in the Koh San Road area, doing a bit of browsing on the stalls and eating. The heavens opened in the evening so drinking in the street, but it provided a great opportunity to socialise with an ever expanding group in the hostel before they al went out.

Tonight we are getting a train up to Chiang Mai - unfortunately all the beds are sold out for the next 2 days so we have to sit, but it's all part of being a backpacker, and at least it gets us there! The train doesn't arrive until 1pm, so it gives us a good opportunity to view some of the scenery as well as sleep.

No plans for Chiang Mai so far, but I'm sure we'll be browsing through the guidebook on the way up and find plenty to keep us busy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb