And so the adventure begins....


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 19th 2012
Published: April 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a 10hour shove in,surrounded by temptations like Chanel, at heathrow's terminal 3 and a pretty smooth flight ,Flight no BA009 landed in Bangkok's Suvarnabhumbi airport in 38degree heat slap bang in the middle of Songkran or 'Thai new year' for us westerners! Songkran is a Buddhist festival which lasts 3 days. It is a time were Thai people pray to Buddha for good fortune in the new year and is celebrated by the biggest water+clay fight I have ever seen in my life!!!

Following a crazy taxi ride we were left to our own devices when our driver declared the road to our hotel was closed! U can imagine the initial panic as I clambered out the taxi,big pink rucksack on my back+embarked on a ten min walk up the street full of revellers armed with water pistols, clay paint+cheeky grins on their faces!

That said it was probably the first moment I thought,I love this place! Smells from street vendors,scorching heat,general high pitched noise all mixed together create an image u won't forget in a long time. When we arrived at Nouvo City Hotel we were surprised with a room upgrade+a gorgeous room it was. That night we met Julie's friend Emma+her fiancée Pat and armed with water pistols submerged ourselves head first in Songkran on Khao San road. To put u in the picture,Khao San road is famous for its craziness anyway,add to that 20-30,000 revellers armed with clay,water spraying from crowd dispersers,pistols+buckets,music blaring,beer flowing and an amazing party atmosphere and u have yourself the biggest rave with water EVER!

Hangover still brewing,we took on the cultural task the next day taking in the famous Grand Palace complex,Wat Wrun+Wat Pho. Wat is Thai for temple. I could spend all day talking about these+explaining them but il let the photos do the talking. In order to be respectful u must cover your shoulders and wear long trousers/skirt when entering a temple hence the sexy pink shirt! My scarf was too see through apparently! And yes mum I know I packed a tshirt for the job but in 40degree heat even linen trousers were a struggle!! 😊 This was followed by a cheeky few hours in the rooftop pool+then dinner at a local teeny restaurant which served the best Thai curry I've ever tasted!! That and cocktails for only £3,holy moly u can't beat it!

Trying to behave that night we started booking the next leg of the plan only to meet in with some british people at the computers..... One minute we are sitting chatting having a civilised drink,the next we are on our way home from an epic night out at 6am when the sun was rising,rats were roaming the streets and Bangkok was waking for a new day. Crazy!




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb