Bangkok nights, the bright lights, Muay Thai fights, Ping Pong shows, anything goes! Welcome to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 22nd 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

20.06.06
Today I (melissa) was on a mission. A mission to shop and to get malaria tablets (Malarone, which seem to be impossible to get in Asia). So we caught the ferry all the way down to Sathora (central) and then onto the sky train to Sala Daneng where we tracked down a hospital (where we were told we could buy them). At the hospital no luck! A doctor spoke to us and suggested not to take anything but to cover up and if you get a fever in a months time then go and get treatment for the malaria! Doesn't sound like such a hot idea to us.
The lady did give us an address of a tropical disease place where they might have them. Tried to call them, but no luck.
We left feeling a little defeated (you see we really want these malarone as the other tablets, such as doxycycline, have lots of bad side effects.) and headed to the MBK shopping mall, a little retail therapy.
First we grabbed some lunch to make sure we had enough energy to go around this 5 storey mall.
I wanted an MP3 player so apparently, here, was the place to buy it. We spent a long time looking at all the various MP3 players on offer and realised at some shops we could get an MP4 player for the same price, or even cheaper.
We eventually decided on a place and the players. They were about 2500B each. We managed to get the 2 for 4550B with 2 plug chargers, 2 adapters, 2 sets of earphone covers thrown in. So we think we did ok, about 30 quid each. Lets just hope they keep working eh?
We carried on looking about the mall and then at about 4.40pm we headed back onto the sky train (now pouring with rain as it has done everyday in Bangkok) to Lumphini to buy our Muai Thai boxing tickets for that evening at 6pm.
Straight away we were harassed (not greeted by) by touts showing us the way. We thanked the lady for showing us the way (though we didn't need to be shown, they just latch on to you and by them walking beside you they think you are going with them!). We saw the real ticket office that we wanted to buy our tickets from, as it tells you in the book not to buy from touts and we don't trust any of them anyway, they were the same price as she was offering but that didn't matter.
The official place was shut so we thought we would come back a little later. The woman was having none of this and went on and on and on and on (you get the idea) and we walked off.
Came back at about 5.30pm and the office was open, but oh no, the woman had spotted us and lept on us and tried dragging us over to her office. We explaind calmly and politely that we would like to buy our tickets from this office, yes we understand they are the same price but we would still like to buy them from here. She really didn't get the idea and carried on and on and on and on she even told us that only Thai people could buy from this ticket counter! My arse!!, she then started to speak in Thai to the guy behind the counter, which was annoying as we thought she was trying to get him to lie and say we couldn't buy them from there, but he was laughing and
In the ringIn the ringIn the ring

Before each game they dance a little ceremonial dance, which has something to do with religion, to music. The music (drums and bells) plays throughout the fighting.
not interested in helping her. By this time Andy was quite angry so I leaned over and stuck my head in the little opening in the glass and asked the man for 2 ring side tickets please. The woman stormed off (with another lady who had come over) and we got what we wanted. It's never easy. It must have took us a good 20 minutes to get rid of the women and buy our tickets!
So we hung about waiting until we could go in. We got chatting to an older couple from England who stayed with for the rest of the night.
At about 6pm we were let in, had our bags searched and found our ringside seats. There were 9 fights 2 of which were preliminary and the main even was about fight number 7.
The first couple of fights were younger boys and as the fights went on they were older and more viscious.
I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this as I find boxing on the tv a little upsetting sometimes! But it was really good. In one fight a guy got knocked out on the first punch!! This I did not like, Andy missed it because he was too busy looking around. There was a large crowd, mainly Thais, in the standing area and us farangs in the ringside seats. It was so, so loud and lots of people waving and making funny hand gestures, to do with betting we think.
The main event was really good and we got some really good pictures as I went and leaned in on the ring and took photos from under the ropes, you get a totally different view there, you can see the sweat flying off them when they get kicked!
We had a really good night!!!

We were able to go back and have our photos taken with the fighters.
We left with the other couple at about 10.15pm and headed to Suam Lum night bazar, it was massive. We got some dinner in a huge hawker tent then went around the market. Andy brought a pressie and that was it.
Tonight we had decided to get our first taxi in Bangkok and we didn't want to be ripped off. We asked a guy, he told us 750B, WHATEVER!, he then pointed us in the direction of a taxi that would use its meter. (It's crazy they would rather give away custom and wait for a sucker who is going to pay silly money) So in the taxi he says do you want to go highway? We thought that sounds quickest so yeah. He stops at a toll and asks us for 40B. We said, no, no, turn back we're not paying it.' He hands over something and goes that way anywhere. I wished we hadn't gone that way as it allowed him to drive fast! yet another loony driver in Asia. We got to our destination safely and we paid him the 90B (750B my arse!) and for some reason Andy gave him a 10B tip!
Back to our place we stayed up and Andy saw a little of the England football match as it was on at 2am, but fell asleep before the end.

Wednesday the 21st of June

As the city life was begining to catch up with us, what with all the traffic beeping their horns, all the exhaust smoke and the constant barrage of "tuk tuk", "taxi', "suit sir, come with me, this way", "where are you going", "look first", "hello" we had
FightingFightingFighting

How good is that photo??
found ourselves a little tired so we went up to our pool for a dip, then spent ages in the internet cafe (where it is less muggy than outside) here we booked our flight to Laos, which is in the middle of Thailand and Vietnam and supposedly stunning. The flights cost us around 80 quid each, but we figured "what the eck!"

Just a quick description of Khoa San road and its surrounds. If anyone whants to see a backpacker or meet one that you have met before, this is the place!! Its BLOODY BACKPACKER BARMY, all the goods on sale are more expensive than anywhere else, all the backpackers walk round as though they own it and with a bit of an attitude. There are people just hanging around on the streets. There are more taxis and tuk tuks than you can ever imagine. Everwhere you walk and look someone is trying to sell you something or con you. But its cool.
The road we stayed on was a little more peaceful, but the place we were staying in 'The Rambutri Village inn' was nice, but the receptionists!!! Dont get me started!!! MISERABLE!!

Anyway after tea we got a number 15 bus down to PatPong, for ping pong (not the game)
The couple we had met last night said the market in Patpong was really good, so we had a walk around, it was ok (Melissa bought a genuine Diesel belt. Form 450 baht to 150 baht) On one side there were people trying to sell you their stuff from the markets and on the other there were peolpe trying to sell you pingpong shows (using words we can't print).
We wandered round the red light area (we felt safe people!!) there were girls everwhere (we think they were girls anyway) all showing themselves off and shouting out for custom. They were probably all for sale as well. There were men walking around with cards full of pictures with girls on as well. All quite interesting

Melissa took me down the gay street ( I was not comfortable at all) then we went around the market again with the intention of seeing a pinpong show (as we had just been asked for loads of shows we were hoping we would pick a good one and not get ripped off)

Ok then we picked a guy!!! Who was promoting his show. We asked him every possible rip off question. "Is it free?"- "Yes". "Is it free to get in?"- "Yes". "Is it free to get out?"- "Yes". "Do we have to buy the girls a drink?"- "No" He said we could just look first!

We thought that was enough. Up we went, our first thoughts were that we must have picked the skankiest bar on the road. When we entered there were half naked girls just lazily standing round the poles on a platform in the centre of the bar. The people sat us down a brought us our 100baht drinks. One of the girls on the stage (a fat ugly one) started to fire darts at baloons and put candles out (from you know where!!).

About 10 minute into 'The show' two women come up to us and slapped a card on the table for 300baht each "for the show" NO WAY, WE ALREADY PAID, WE WERE TOLD IT WAS FREE, THE GUY LIED TO US. We said everything we could, we tried shouting, talking calmly but they wanted their money. We were scammed (I, Andy kind of expected it) so it didn't bother me too much, I was angry though, but Melissa was well pissed off and quite upset. (I, Mel, was so angry and a little scared these big lesbian women didn't like me and were shouting at me, and if looks could kill! I was fuming so much so I was shaking and had to stop myself crying after they had gone. I wanted to proper kick off but in a forgien place you don't know what they might do.)
Reluctantly we paid but Melissa wanted to leave straight after, I wanted to finish my beer so at least we got something out of it and at least see a little more of the show because we had paid for it (I don't want that to sound bad and I hope it doesn't)
The fat girl continued to get voted for the tricks! She cracked a bottle open with it, had a sparkler hanging out and dribbled a couple of pingpong balls out into a glass. RUBBISH, RIP OFF.
We only paid because we were surrounded and being shouted at aggressively!

Before we left for our hotel, annoyed and fed up, we called into Macdonalds, saw an elephant in the street (you dont see that everyday do you?) and had another walk around the market, But the show had spoilt our night. But what do you expect THIS IS BANGKOK.

Later that night around 12ish I, Andy phoned my dad,brother and sister in law, Darren and Lesley.

22.06.06
After a dip in the pool (the only reason we are staying at this hotel) we had some breakfast and had a wander around Banglamphu market. I bought a pink pair of fisherman pants for 100B from 150B.
Today was a day of organising for Laos.
After the market we went to the bank and bought some travellers cheques (there are no atm's in Laos) and some US dollars.
We were on our way to look at a Wat. looking at our map to see the name of it when a guy, just a guy walking along, started chatting to us.
We thought he was being friendly, then WHAM! He asks us, have you seen the black Buddha? (here we go again)
Now, a thai guy from a restauraunt we ate at a lot, Kris, had already told us this wasn't true. But we played dumb and let him go on.
He even asked if we had seen it on the tv last night!!
I wanted to tell him we knew he was lieing out of his backside, but Andy just said we didn't have time and were leaving that afternoon.

We went and looked at a fort on our way back. We saw a guy floating on an inner tube on the river with a metal bucket with fish that he had caught. We thought this was quite smart and simple.
Back at our hotel we went for a swim. We got chatting to a girl who had pbviously gone to the same ping pong show as us. She got skanked too.However she did go to a different bar and saw a better show where the girls looked like they were having a laugh
and was ok about being there. She also didn't get ripped off. It's a shame we had to pick the worst one, maybe we would have come away with a better oppinion.
Later that night we had finally sucumbed to the fact that we were going to have to buy doxycycline for Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, so we went and bought them. Stocked up on loads of other drugs we might need, such as rehydrating salts, belly upset powders etc.








Advertisement



27th June 2006

The blogs are good, considering the time you have been away and the placed visited you have done very well in avoiding the stitch ups. Look forward to the blogs on Laos, look after yourselves see you soon. Mags X
28th June 2006

Love the picture of andy with the Thai boxer! great!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb