Bangkok has us now!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 17th 2012
Published: January 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok/Chang Mai

The minibus journey from Kanchaniburi only took 2 hrs, although the driver was a maniac, in and out of lanes at over 100k, and squeezing through the narrowest of gaps. We arrived at our hostel for the night ’Thai Cozy House’ which was just off Khao San Rd. The place was nice but very basic, although the tailors at the shops adjoined to the hostel were a nightmare. Every time we went in and out, they hounded you to try on a suit.

We unpacked, and decided to go and check out the street food and our 1st experience of Khao San Rd. We went for a drink at a busy bar, but as soon as we sat down, these three lads, shouted us over to join them. Paul from Chile, Carlos from Mexico and David from Ireland. We had one drink then said we’d meet them later on. As agreed 11pm we met up again and had a crazy night on Khao San Road, dancing and singing on the street, and even watching a police truck go through with travellers dancing in the back of his truck. The police just didn’t care, and were laughing. We met so many travellers that night, a girl called Fleur from Holland, another girl from Holland called ‘Nutter’ which I found hilarious and a guy called John from Korea to name just a few. The night ended for us around 2.30ish as the club we were in called ‘The Club’ was heaving with crowds of people.

The next day, surprisingly we weren’t rough. We walked to the National Museum in the morning, trying to dodge all the dodgy Thai guys who tell you the place your heading is shut and they try and take you somewhere else instead where they get commission (we didn’t fall for it). The museum was fascinating, reading up on the history of the Thai kings and the battles they had with the Burmese. After the museum, we walked to the Grand Palace. When we got there, there were tourists everywhere. It was heaving, and then Jen got turned away for being inappropriately dressed (she had a vest on, and a pashmina, but the guard still wouldn’t let her in so we went across the road, bought a sleeved top for 2quid and went in. The temples were amazing (see pics) and we were knackered walking around all day in the heat, so we retired early that night and caught up on some much needed sleep.

After Khoa San Road we decided to spend a couple of days in the Silom area of Bangkok. We stayed at a nice hostel called WE hostel, which was a 10 minute walk to the famous Sirocco building from the film ‘The Hangover 2’ and also 2 mins from the BTS Skyway Chongnonsi. The hostel was really good, and once we checked in, we went to the BTS skyway to get to the central pier. It was only 15 baht for the public ferry, which was a great experience, showing you all the sites of Bangkok, and a great view of the HO2 building ‘Sirocco’. At night we met up with Mark (Kris’s friend) who lives in Bangkok, and he took us to the infamous Pat Pong. The Pat Pong area, is good area for bars, but also the dodgiest area, if you go upstairs, the Thais apparently refuse to let you leave until they’ve emptied your wallet completely. Mark took us around the safe bars, and pointed out some of the areas where HO2 was filmed. Mark is unbelievably intelligent and in two years, has managed to not only speak Thai almost fluently, but read and write it. It was nice to see him again, after the drunken nights we all had in Hua Hin over the xmas period, and fascinating to hear all the info he has on Thailand.

The next day we decided to check out Lumpini park. The park was huge, and there were monitor lizards everywhere (see pics). At night we met up with Kris, who had returned from his holiday in Phuket, and chatted for a few hours about the last week or so, and our next plans. Were hoping to go back to see him in March, as we loved Hua Hin, and its always good to see a familiar face.

So, 6.30amTuesday, we all met at the Stray office, just off Khao San Road, ready for our next adventure. It wasn’t a good start for us, as the taxi we got, refused to take us to the bus station for the agreed fare the Stray Thai woman had told everyone. Luckily our tour guide James from Brisbane-Australia, was in the cab behind us, so pulled over as well to find out what was going on. Eventually we had to get out, and grab another taxi to the bus station. The bus took five hrs to get to Sukohthai, which used to be the old capital of Thailand. We stayed in a nice hostel called ‘The Old City guesthouse’ for a bargain price of 350baht. Once we all checked in, our Stray friends all went on a bike ride to see some of the temples. As Jen wasn’t too keen, we decided to walk around the UNESCO World Heritage Site, which was full of temples hundreds of years old.(see pics). When they all returned, we all went for tea and got to know each other a bit better before our Laos tour. We met some great people.. two English lads from Bournemouth called Marcus and Charlie, a Scottish girl called Lesley, an English girl who is currently studying in Oz called Kate, and two Canadian guys called Jonny and Shaun. After tea, we all retired early ready for another long bus journey to Chiang Mai the next day.

The next morning, we all set off for Chiang Mai, for our five hr trip on a bus with no toilet, and one 10minute stop halfway into the journey. Once we arrived in Chiang Mai, we checked into our new hostel for the next five nights called Mannee House. A great little hostel again at only 350baht(7quid) with hot shower and a double bed.

As our driver James had a day off the next day, and didn’t have to travel anywhere, he convinced everyone to join him for a night out. We all set off to a roof top bar, in which there were no seats, just bamboo floors and mats.. very uncomfortable, but an experience all the same. After the roof top bar, we went to ‘the square‘….this place was heaving with backpackers and people on holiday. Our driver and the two Canadian guys, all retired early and couldn’t keep up with the others, whilst the English lot and Lesley, the Scottish girl stayed out until 3am. Once we got back to the hostel, I randomly asked the security guard ‘Yud’ at our reception if he knew anywhere that would be showing the carling cup semi final City vs. Liverpool and couldn’t believe it when he turned his little TV around, and was about to watch it himself. Needless to say, me, Jen and Charlie all stayed up till 5am watching the game , but it was worth it as Liverpool won!

The next few days, we walked around Chiang Mai, checking out the few temples, and the city walls, along with shops etc, before we started our Thai cooking course.

The Thai cooking course was amazing a company called ‘Smart Cook’ and only 900baht each for everything included. We were picked up by minibus from our accommodation, and taken to the train station, arriving at a village called Lampoong 25mins away from Chang Mai. We then took a short ten minute bicycle ride to the village. The herbs we used were freshly picked from the allotments they had in their village. We learned how to make spring rolls, chicken fried rice, massaman curry, deep fried banana and mango n sticky rice.. Mmmm!! As you can imagine Jen was in her element as she loves Thai food and cant wait to test all the recipes out on our friends and family back home.

Sunday was the Elephant park day. The company was ‘BaanChang Elephant Farm‘. This trip was one of the best, and one that we would never forget. We started off with a fifty minute drive to the park. Once we arrived, we got changed into our new clothes for the day and had a briefing from ‘Summit’ our guide. The elephants were ranging from 5 yrs old to one of them that was 51 years old. They can live as long as us apparently. The bad news was that Jen had a bad tummy again and was feeling terrible, but this time, she had been on western food for the last couple of days, so we didn’t know what it was. Fortunately we came prepared, thank the lord for Boots the Chemist! ha-ha

The first part of the day was feeding the elephants with baby bananas and sugar canes. You can give it to them by their trunk or, move their trunk and straight into their mouths. They must have strong teeth, as the sugar canes were rock hard.

After lunch we were taught how to command the elephants, and all had to trial doing it. I.e. shouting ‘Nonglong’ very loudly was elephant ‘sit down‘, ‘Bai’ was ‘go forward’ etc. It was so much fun, and you could see everyone’s nervous tension, when the elephant started to move quickly as you were very high up.

Once we had learned the commands, we then went for an hour trek into the jungle. We started off with Jen at the front, and me behind for the first leg, which was so painful for me. The elephant was so wide, I got cramp in my hips and the hairs on the elephants body were like spikes, scratching my legs everywhere. The second leg was much more comfortable for me but again, Jen was now in a bit of pain, although it was such an amazing experience.

After the trek, we took them down to the bathing area. This was the funniest bit for us, we all had a bucket and 2 brushes, and the elephants loved it, just lying there, and getting scrubbed clean. One elephant came over and with a trunk full of water totally soaked me from head to toe whilst I was sat on our elephant named ‘Muni’ but we called it ‘Nelly’ (you know your singing the song right now) ha-ha

At night, we met up with the new Stray crew that arrived. Our new driver Charlie from Sweden briefed us on the pick up times and info for the Laos tour. Me and Jen went out for a couple of well earned drinks on our own, then met up at the Rooftop bar with everyone. Needless to say, we ended up having a good drink, and an early finish again, meeting lots of new friends again.

Next stop….Laos

Until next time..

TTFN folks xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



18th January 2012

Photos!
Apologies for the messed up photos guys.. Travelblog seems o have died today and mixed them all up!! :(
18th January 2012

Bike Ride
Jen - tut tut tut!! All that practise you had on the bike and you didnt go for it?! hehe! Miss you both lots - glad your still having a fantastic time! See you soon S&J xxx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb