Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 19th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Proper Thai Foot MassageProper Thai Foot MassageProper Thai Foot Massage

1 of 5 Thai foot massages in 2 days, living the dream...
We arrived in Bangkok around midnight local time after 21 hours of flying jumped in a hot pink taxi covered with green and blue led lights everywhere blasting pre 2005 american hip hop. He dropped us off at the wrong destination then we wrangled a tuk tuk to our spot on Kho Saon Road (backpacker mecca). This place is one of the filthiest cities I have ever seen in so many ways. Bangkok is a mindblowing juxtaposition of hustlers trying to sell everything in the world including (Table Tennis Shows) and beautiful monastarys with monks walking around in their traditional robes. One of the funnier things I saw was the "Bureau of Monetary Management" a beautiful compound with a massive picture of the King on the front surrounded with gates directly in the heart of the shanty's. You can't go more than 5 yards down Khao San road without being harrassed to buy a custom suit (mostly by Burmese people), t-shirts, sunglasses, or any other item of junk you could imagine.
Im sure the Khao San road area is not a very accuarate respresentation of the rest of Bangkok however this is only a hub for us to begin our journey so we didn't make an effort to go outside of this area. It is a zone that is primarily travellers just passing through on their way from one place to another. Its full of hostels, restaurants and shops. We did experience our first tuk tuk ride with Jojo who im pretty sure was really drunk as he weaved thru traffic and did wheelys every time we were at a light (the most exhilirating taxi ride I have ever experienced).
Tomorrow we are jumping on a bus to Hua Hin a small fishing village 3 hours south of Bangkok (we already feel the need to escape the insanity of bening constantly heckled) however i'm sure we'll be back many more times throughout our trip.
One thing I can already definitively say is the Thai people are the nicest people I have ever encountered always witha smile on their face and willing to help you. Its extremely refreshing to constantly encounter people as a tourist who are genuinely nice.
This time tomorrow we will be in Hua Hin.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb