Five Star Service, Elegance, and Class...The way it's meant to be.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 17th 2006
Published: June 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

(Kev)
The Peninsula is not a part of the typical backpacking scene. But we are not your typical backpackers, especially when Daryl is part of the team. Daryl told us about this place that constantly ranks amongst the top ten hotels in the world, and is annually the number one hotel in Bangkok. I loved the thought of staying at one of the top hotels in the world...but didn't seriously consider it, because it was not apart of my budget. My budget however is different from Daryl's and as it turns out Daryl has this thing called a play jar. The play jar is money he sets aside for amazing, and lavish things that wouldn't normally be apart of his or most people's budget. Well Daryl's play jar said he was going to stay at one of the top hotels in the world, and that we would be his honored guests...indeed I truly did feel honored.

Well we rolled into the Peninsula toting our backpacks and huge smiles on our faces. The bellhops immediately took our bags, opened the doors for us...and it was nothing but five star service from there on out. When we stepped into the room, and opened the curtains, it was like the entire skyline of Bangkok opened up before us. The room was lavish and large...the bathroom had two sinks, and the tub even had its own TV

The first night we relaxed pool side, and then went into the workout room. I was able to have my first real work out in months, and it was really good to feel the soreness. We had a personal trainer, that worked us out hard. After that we went to the steam room, and eased the aches away.

My favorite part of the Peninsula though without a doubt was the food. We had a breakfast there fit for a king. It had the best of everything...it had fruits that I didn't even know existed, but man was I glad that they did. Fresh breads and cheese, and delicious juice...the list just goes on and on...

The next day reality set in...and we were back on the backpacking trail...but man, for a moment there I was a king.

I am out like school, enjoy the summer guys
~Kev

(Daryl)

Well folks, staying at this place was a blast, and I was MOST grateful to have my friends Kevin and Dustin here to experience it with me. I consider them my bro's, way more than I think of them as my guests. For me, this is what playing is all about...doing stuff I love in a place I love, with the people I love...what could be better, seriously?

A bit about why we're here: As Kev told you, I manage my money with an account set aside just for "playing." It's my belief that as one practices good financial skills, one should reward themselves for it. Remember the training rules from Psychology 101? "A behavior that's reinforced is more likely to reoccur." According to my mentor, the play account (a certain % of my income) should be completely blown on something to make one "feel like a millionaire" so one can further reinforce one's financial success, and it should be spent without any guilt.

Some would say that with the money spent on lavish things like this, I could be helping people. I fully understand that line of thinking. I do have a "giving account" for just that, and it gets just as much money and attention. I know though, that in order to help more people, I have to nurture the inner child and help myself, so the play account is there to be enjoyed. I chose to spend it by taking off to Thailand for five weeks with my friends and goin nuts. I also wanted my friends to experience the lifestyle that will be theirs soon, and that everyone deserves.

The hotel itself was incredible. It took all of 5 minutes for us to realize why this hotel places in many magazines' Top 5 list for the whole world. Though we were dressed like hobos and smelled like hairy green kaka, the staff treated us like Millionaire VIP's. Live jazz music filled the lobby while we checked in. We were escorted to our Grand Deluxe room by the gal who checked us in, and through big picture windows, we saw the Bangkok skyline. In fact, every room in this hotel has a skyline view. There were fresh flowers and a fruit platter waiting for us as well. Day one was spent by the three-tiered pool in the day, then the gym in the evening. Instead of just having a minimum-wage gym attendant, the Peninsula had a Thai Basketball Champion as a personal trainer, and he worked us hard. I hadn't eaten much that day, so my energy was low. He managed to suck out whatever I had left. At night, we took our hotel's private guest boat across the river to get steak at the Outback. The steak itself was just okay, but it was great to tear into a big chunk of medium-rare beef again, something I missed from the USA.

In the morning, we had breakfast at the River Terrace Buffet. When I booked the room, I got a great deal on it. At the door they were charging $30 US. With the room, it was only $35 for the three of us, so I figured, as long as I'm here to play, why not buy breakfast too? It wasn't typical buffet food that's sub-par and been sitting for hours on steam tables. This was like having Bangkok's top chefs make me as much as I want, of whatever I want to eat. It was a great investment, especially considering Kev's appetite.

After breakfast, we got them to give us a 2:45 checkout (normally noon), so
Living the high lifeLiving the high lifeLiving the high life

The Peninsula Bangkok had been rated by magazines as the top hotel in the world, and consistently places in the top 5 year after year.
we chilled in the room some more, took some pics, went to the pool, and enjoyed the spa. Even when we had checked out, they still welcomed us into the facilities. As I heard the sax and piano in the lobby for the last time, I knew this would be a place I will remember and return to someday.

My favorite picture of the blog is this one on the left with Kev and I. It represents what I live for as a teacher, as a trainer, as a businessman and as a friend. When Kev and I make it to the top, it will be because we ran the race side by side as a team, supporting each other along the way. With what we have going for us, I know it won't be long before we're in the position to stay in places like this wherever we go.

It meant a lot to me to share this with Kev and Dust for our last night as a trio. Those guys took a risk in inviting someone new on their adventure, and so far as I can tell, it was a risk that paid off. I know
I'll be right out! I'll be right out! I'll be right out!

Notice the bathtub TV.
Kevin and Dustin are headed toward great success, and that the night at the Peninsula was just a small taste of what is coming to them in the future. In this moment, I feel the utmost in gratitude toward Kevin and Dustin for inviting me on the most fun, educational, deep, and downright adventurous experience of my life.

I hold Kevin and Dustin in high regard, both for what they've done for me, and for who they are as people. This blog is great, as it gives me a vehicle that allows me to say how great they are, to the whole frickin world! I'm very humbled that they consider it an honor to be my guests, because I consider there to be no higher honor, than to be valued as a friend, and trusted as a brother; especially theirs.

With Freedom, Adventure, and Passion,

Daryl Willard

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." - Anais Nin
"The reason some of your thoughts have not become things.... is because other thoughts of yours have." - Mike Dooley
"Great spirits have encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
"One step in the right direction is worth 100 years of thinking about it." - T. Harv Eker


(Dustin)
Daryl treated us to a good time in Bangkok when we got back for our last time to the area. Ranked as something like #1 in Bangkok and well I suppose Daryl and Kev have said in their sections as one of the top of the world. It was a real treat though. We thought about catching a Tuk Tuk up to the entrance to really shock them and make them wonder about their newest guests but in the end I think just our shorts, beards, long hair and backpacks did that enough. Although they didn't even flinch but I think the door man started laughing after we passed by.

Daryl is one smooth talker and managed to get us a room higher up than we might have previously. Really cool place though...it faces the skyline of BKK and the place was just really comfortable. It had its tub and shower separate, which just might be a first in the hotels we've been in. TV's in the bathroom your own little entry way with closets for coats
A feast for a King (or the three of us)A feast for a King (or the three of us)A feast for a King (or the three of us)

This photo shows 1/4 of what was served. The only limit was our appetites.
and shoes etc. It also had one of those nifty little magnifying mirrors on one of the two sinks that make you look REALLY ugly the closer you get, because you can see everything and with a beard....believe me it isn't pretty.

We made the most of our stay and Daryl's money by checking in at the beginning and getting a late checkout time so we could enjoy the pools and saunas and fitness areas as long as possible. They even have a little boat that crosses the river so you can go to the shopping areas via the sky train.

Man though, breakfast was AMAZING....imagine all your favorite breakfast foods made by top notch chefs.....thats what it was like. But not only is it made like that BUT its unlike those "Fancy" restaurants people go to because its BUFFET OH YEAH!! So instead of those tiny itsy bitsy little portions that are supposed to be so beautiful and tasty that high class places seem to love, we got almost endless amounts of the same great food. It really was good, and whoever they hired sure does know how to cook. Oh and now I feel high class because they has the same cream cheesy garlic spread that we like at home.

The fitness room was really neat, and they were right there to help you if you needed it.....and even if you didn't but once the real trainer came he sure whipped us into a routine like we had no choice. It was nice though because he showed us things we've never done before. The steam room and sauna was a really nice relaxing place too because we could jump into freezing water and a hot tub after you roast yourself. They also had razors and stuff which made it really easy to "look good" right in the dressing room.

Well our one and only real high class experience of the trip was pretty good, I still think it was pretty cool of Daryl to set it all up. I wonder how long it will be before another set of 3 just like us walks through that lobby.

Cheers,
Dustin



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

34 Stories of Luxury34 Stories of Luxury
34 Stories of Luxury

Every Room faces the Chao Praya River and the Bangkok skyline.


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb