Bang Ma Kok as it is Traditionally Called


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 9th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Don't call me Stupa!Don't call me Stupa!Don't call me Stupa!

You're stupa! Would you call a place full of stupas stupafied? How about stupid?
Yes, that's right. Bangkok was once known by seafaring foreigners as Bang Ma Kok. I like the old name best.

We have been here for a couple of days now. You wake up in the morning and it is hot and stinky. And just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets hotter and stinkier. However it is definitely a city full of energy. Wandering down Kao San Rd there is always something to see. The foreigners provide just as much entertainment as the locals when it comes to people watching.

Today we went to the Grand Palace, the temple of the Emerald Buddha, and the Reclining Buddha. Talk about bling!!! Everything was covered in gold and intricate decorations. It dazzles the eye and the mind! Unfortunately there was some sort of official ceremony on today so we didn't get to see the Emerald Buddha. However the Reclining Buddha was more than a little impressive.

We have two more days of hanging out here while we wait for our visas for Laos and Cambodia. I'm fairly sure we will find something to do! If not I will just sit on Kao San Road and watch the
Arrrrrrr.....Arrrrrrr.....Arrrrrrr.....

P-( <---- That's a pirate!
world go by. - Fi


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Idol WorshipIdol Worship
Idol Worship

... is ideal if you're idle.
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

In Goldfinger (The Bond movie) being covered in gold is deadly. This fact has failed to wipe that smug look off Buddha's face. (Fi says Booder, not Boodah) So Booder's face if you like.
Wat's it called?Wat's it called?
Wat's it called?

A thingy majigger I think.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb