Bangkok Day 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 21st 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we started the day very rested with a big breakfast at the Buddy Lodge. We headed for the Grand Palace but still could not get in because they were only allowing Thai’s in until a certain time. It was the same way in some of the temples as well, Buddhist only. It didn’t bother us at all because this is their country and their national religion, but can you imagine the hay day the ACLU would have in this country? Somehow I like the Thai sense of national and religious pride and admire their resolve.

So we decided to take a back alley long boat tour of parts of Bangkok to see that aspect of Thai life. That was awesome and it dropped us off at a market where we ate and browsed for awhile. After checking out of Buddy Lodge we decided to explore a different part of Bangkok. We traveled to the Lumpini Park (named after Buddha’s birthplace) area and checked into the Charlie House. The place was quite a few steps down from the Buddy Lodge, and I think when the taxi driver who spoke very little English dropped us off and said, “are you sure” we knew we were in for something special. Jeff and I just kept telling the girls this was part of the adventure and I think they are starting to believe we were serious about this adventure stuff. The place was rather close to the subway so that was another interesting experience as we traveled to the Silom-Patpong area where there was a lot of shopping and other seedy activities. It was, well….interesting. We did manage to squeeze in a couple of massages which included a Siam Fish Massage. You can check out the pictures, but if you have ticklish feet, you might want to pass on this one. We ate sushi, a couple of Thai dishes and rolled back to our rooms about midnight. Charlie House was completely closed down with big metal doors, but fortunately they had a buzzer and we made it safely back to our sweltering rooms. Tomorrow, we head for Chiang Mai in the evening but the morning we plan on seeing a few more Bangkok sites.

I have pictures but for some reason I can't post them from this location. Check back later for them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st February 2011

trip
fun,fun.....nice pictures. think I will pass on the fish massage though

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb