Bangkok-The City of....Dreams?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 7th 2011
Published: February 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

22/01/2011 Day 7

Me and John had the delight of leaving Delhi with a 1am flight. The flight wasn't actually too bad, we just had the misfortune of having passengers in front of us who felt the need to fully recline in their seats, plus they didn't smell too good. Nonetheless Mr Bean was on the flight entertainment menu so weren't too distressed.
We touched down into Bangkok International Airport at about 7am. The entire airport is very sleek and modern so I didn't mind having to queue up for an hour to check out, I was content staring at all the futuristic architecture!. After we picked up our bags, we caught a thankfully air conditioned coach to Khoa San Road. Me and John were pretty tired, so as soon as we checked in to our very well kept guest house we had a nap. A few hours later and after a much needed shower we headed out to explore the area.
Earlier in the day, Khao San was relatively quiet. There was peddlers on most corners trying to sell souveneirs and most of the street was lined with T-shirt vendors or pad thai (noodle) stalls. In the evening though the street had been transformed. The road is relatively short but it was packed, it was impossible to walk through it without bumping into someone. Tourists and backpackers filled the street and now the once quiet atmosphere had been replaced with loud music, pretty much from every bar on the strip. In a word, Khoa San is hectic. Me and John weren't quite ready for all that Khoa San had to offer so we opted for a quiet restaurant with the football on, We ate and watched the match and ended our evening with a few (relatively) quiet Beers.

23/01/2011 Day 8

We emerged from bed at around Noon and decided to get some Lunch at our hotel. The weather was lovely, pushing 30 degrees, so we decided to have a wander up and down the greater Khao San area. John almost immediately spotted a Gorillaz T-shirt and so had to have it. He did well, knocking off a good 25 percent off the vendors asking price. I was on the lookout for a Chang vest I had seen the other day but I couldn't find it. After more relaxed wandering we went on the lookout for out next place to stay. Most of the places off the road were very reasonably priced but we eventually settled on a small hostel just off the main road. Prior to this Me and John discovered a nice Irish pub. Admittedly it wasn't the most 'culturally rich' of places to go but it was quiet and had a pool table. John won, just.
A bit later we returned to our Hotel. We got a bite to eat at a nice little restaurant where we ate whilst watching the end of, 'The Rock' and were then serenaded by a very good acoustic guitarist. He played some Beatles and John Lennon songs and a few Thai covers. After dinner I went for a nap whilst John did some more exploring. Later we befriended a boy from New Zealand, a chap from America and not one but TWO girls from Nottingham. We had a heavy night and encountered some very mischievous local kids. They were really cheeky but took a shine to us, especially to John (must be his girly hair). We ended the night by watching the sunrise on Khoa San.

24/01/2011 Day 9

After a much needed sleep we vacated our rooms and moved across the road to our new Hostel. I think Jetlag, lack of proper sleep and dehydration caught me off guard. I spent most of this day resting. Me and John didn't have very productive days but we intend to make up for this the following day. I wanted to get a foot massage!

25/01/2011 Day 10

'We are sure to see more interesting things, than a Samurai playing the guitar!'

We got up nice and early and went for a light breakfast of Mango Shakes and Cornflakes on Rambutri, the much quieter road just off Khao San. After being fed we went for a walk towards the River through the blazing afternoon Sun, evading the occasional Tuk-Tuk driver and souvenir peddler. Eventually we made it across the river by boat (for only 3 baht, about 6p!) and found ourselves at 'Wat Arun' or the Temple of Dawn. The entire complex is hard to describe, a sort of symmetric layout of smaller towers surrounding one huge, ornately decorated central tower. The entire place was very impressive though.
After a light lunch we jumped back on the ferry and headed further up the river (this time for 28p) and then got a ride from a very enthusiastic Tuk-Tuk driver back to Khao San. Me and John relaxed for a while in the afternoon Sun and then further explored the area around Rambutri. The atmosphere was much more relaxed, compared to the relentless music and energy of Khao San.
Earlier in the day we met up with Giftzy. She was recommended to us by John's cousin Rory and she really was (and has been since) incredibly helpful and friendly to us. She helped us book our travel to our next destination and even gave it us at a discounted price. Lovely, lovely Giftzy.
After dinner on Rambutri we met Kim (the Kiwi we'd met earlier) and his friends, Phil and Steph. It was a nice relaxed night, that was until Kiti, one of the demon children from a few nights before came and found us. She had bullied me into buying roses from her before and this time she was even more mean. She even hit me! Suffice to say I bought some more flowers from her, though she could just be nice next time! After a pleasant evening we said our goodbyes to the Kiwi's and went to bed. A good day.

26/01/2011 Day 11

We had our plans set for the evening, we were going to catch the night Bus to Chumphon at 8pm and from there get the Lomprayah Catamaran to Koh Tao the following morning (all thanks to Giftzy). So similarly to the day before we took a walk, this time to the Royal Palace of Bangkok. Being an official residence of the King, regulations were very strict. John had to change his 'short pants' (regular shorts) and hire some longer ones. The entire complex though was magnificent, of particular note was a chamber covered in golden tiles and the chamber of the Emerald Buddha, a room that houses a statue made of jade more than 600 years old. We took a long, slow walk back, crossing a particularly precarious road on the way and decided we deserved a reward for our efforts, Pizza! It was definitely worth the slightly higher price.
A bit later we killed some time by playing a few games of Pool at Giftzy's place. Eventually though we found ourselves waiting o board the Night Bus. Giftzy had assured us that we would have comfortable seats and she did not disappoint. Ours were at the front of the Coach, meaning we had additional leg space, as well as reclining seats. The ride down to Chumphon was mostly uneventful but we did watch Star Trek (the good recent version). We did meet some interesting people though. We helped an American girl named Carey carry her bags, she had spent a lot of time of Koh Tao and so knew the island well. We also met Jessie, she was a bit older and owned a Bar on the main beach. Best of all though was meeting Joerie, he was a dutch guy who had bought some dreadlocks on Khao San, they looked quite good actually. He thought he had booked a room in Koh Tao but it was actually in Phuket. That's on the other side of Thailand. Silly Boy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb