One day in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 16th 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Head shot of reclinging BuddhaHead shot of reclinging BuddhaHead shot of reclinging Buddha

This is the largest Buddha in Thailand
I met up with my brother and his family today to spend the week in Thailand, but only one full day in Bangkok, so it was a jammed pack day.

We visited the Grand Palace which is where Thai royalty used to live but now is a guesthouse for foreign dignataries and state dinners and Wat Phra Khaew, home of the emerald buddha. The buildings in the Wat compound were incredible. I have seen pictures but didn't realize just how intricate the decoration on the outside of the buildings was. The emerald buddha, after wondering around the elaborate compound, was a bit of a let down. It is actually made of jasper and is only about a foot high. Sorry no pictures, they weren't allowed inside the building.

More impressive was at Wat Pho, the home of the largest buddha in Bangkok. Although it was still very touristy it wasn't nearly as packed as the grand palace and Wat Phra Kaew. It seemed more used as worshippers were allowed in some of the buildings to offer prayers and incense.

The remainder of the day was spent wandering around one of the many shopping districts. Can't say that I
Monster on wallMonster on wallMonster on wall

The walls on the inside of Wat Phra Kaew have a mural telling an epic story with many battles. It looks like this monster should've taken care of everything.
bought much but there were was plenty to see. One mall could also function as a shrine to pirated goods, four full floors of fake Billabong, Diesel, Oakley, Addidas, Puma, etc. Only the McDonalds and KFC were authentic.

Accidently picked a cafe without USB access so no photos just now but I will be adding them next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Beautiful stupaBeautiful stupa
Beautiful stupa

One of the beautiful structures in Wat Phra Kaew


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb