First Couple of days!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 4th 2010
Published: April 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello All,
We arrived safely about 8.30 on Thursday morning, flight was amazing, we were both like kids when we first got on it. Extremely comfy & food was amazing.
We had chicken curry on the way out with the normal cheese and biscuits with coconut pudding, then we had sandwiches and scones with cream & jam & tea. On the second flight we had chicken in black bean sauce with rice & roasted veg, with strawberry pud and your usual cheese and biscuits etc! Second flight was delayed by about half an hour but it was fine.

We were met by Marcus who is our tour guide for the week, hes really lovely and friendly so we were made to feel safe and welcome straight away. He made sure he had a bottle of water for us each because he new we'd be thirsty.

We got a taxi to Bangkok - which was mental, driving was horrific - but fun! We arrived in Bangkok about 11ish of which we were taken to our room.
Room is nice but basic, two beds, samsung tv, bathroom with shower & we have aircon!

Marcus took us out for the afternoon and showed us how to get round and how to buy things etc, just generally made sure we felt comfortable with being here.

We went for dinner on the stalls, which is literally plastic tables and chairs on the side of the road but the food is amazing! We both had Thai red curry which cost us 60p!!!!!!!!!!
We then headed down the main road with a few others from the group - they serve the drinks in buckets! lol

Second day

On our second day we booked a trip to a place called Kanchanaburi - where the Bridge over the River Kwai is. We had to be up at 6am for the minibus to pick us up.
Our first stop was the floating markets, these were amazing to see, people just use sticks to real you in to their boats. Thai's sat on a tiny boat making food from scratch etc, also everything is massively cheap, you can buy trousers and t shirts for about 2 pounds!
First we were taken round the market on a long tail boat, we then had a wander. We were told we could swim through it - I dont think so - it looked gross haha
We were then taken on what they called a speed boat but it was infact just a long tail boat with an engine! This took us down all the river to see all the scenery - some really amazing sights!!
We were then taken to a snake show, this was crazy men messing about with cobras in different ways. We saw a fight between two cobras and a mongoose - I was really scared as I thought the snake was going to eat it whole but it was fine, they just had a play fight which the mongoose won & then they pulled them apart.
The bloke then started playing with the snake and ended up throwing it & it nearly hit us, we all screamed and ran! was very funny!
I touched two cobras - which I'm proud of :-)

After that we went for some lunch, this was Thai food all inclusive & was very tasty!

Then we went to see The Bridge over the river kwai - lovely to see, really scenic & amazing to see how many people died whilst making it. We walked across the bridge which made me scared as there was holes all over it!

We then were taken to Tiger temples, this was where you could get up close and personal with them - we had pictures taken with them - they were lush but it was quite scary being that close to them!

We then went back to the hostel and collapsed into bed with tiredness lol!

Third Day

We went to the Chatchuk market, its one of the biggest markets in the world with over 9000 stalls, was amazing to go and see all the different cultures!!
At night we went for a meal with all the group & then headed down Kao San Road for some buckets, we ended up in a night club until 3 o'clock this morning.

We cant believe how many people we've met already and they are all really nice, everyones always in a great mood because everyone loves it here, its so chilled out.

Today - 4th April

Today we all met up for breakie this morning. We then headed down to the river and got on a boat, the boat took us all the way down the canal, sights were amazing, little shacks all the way down the side dotted inbetween the most amazing greenery. Coconut trees, banana trees, mango trees, everything you can possibly imagine & all so so green. Stunning! Very sad to see the way some of these people live and yet they are so happy all the time, every hut you go past they all wave and smile - its really eye opening!

We stopped at a few temples - I can't remember the names of them all but I have pictures.
The first one was scary, it had steps all the way up the front of it & were so steep it was unreal, we were all shaking whilst walking up but it was so worth it when we got to the top - the most amazing views ever!

We then went a little further up the river & stopped at some more temples which had Buddhas in - this is probably the most amazing place I've ever seen. The pictures won't do it justice but have a look anyway! The sitting down Buddha is THE most STUNNING thing I have ever seen in my life! Pure gold and soooo sparkly, totally breath taking!

After this we had a tuk tuk ride back to the main road - pretty fun! Dodging in and out between crazy cars, driving on the wrong side of the road etc.

We the stopped for some lunch together which was really nice.

Tonight we are going to a posh restaurant and bar so really looking forward to that.

I will upload some photos now so enjoy :-)

Will update again soon. Hope everyone back home is well - missing you all tonnes XX








Additional photos below
Photos: 265, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb