*Taxis and tribulation*


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After another hot, noisy and sleepless night on Koh San Road, all we wanted to do is sleep but we had a city to explore after yesterdays interesting tour of the temples by tuk tuk. We had booked a floating market tour the night before that left Koh San at 7am The alarm rang at six. The minibus arrived at 7am. We woke at 7.05am. Not the best start to the day. In the end we got up rather reluctantly and headed out to grab some food and off we trotted to the Grand Palace, Reclining Budda and Emerald Budda. On the way, a few locals told us "its shut", "Budda holiday"... pff. We're English, it'll be open because we want to see it. Oh, its not? Hm.

So, we were "luckily" hailed a tuk tuk by a local, insiting we should see the long boats and head down the river. The scene that greated us was remenisant of one of the beginning scenes from Mortal Kombat, it just needed some dry ice. We declined the boat, and headed back into the city - hailing a cab to take us to MBK - a ridiculously sized shopping centre that would have quite simply, pissed all over Bluewater, Lakeside and the like. Moving from stand to stand, all selling the same things, it was only Super Mario and Mario Kart on the Wii (knock off...) that caught our eye!

We had lunch, and headed back - the Grand Temple was due to open at one. I was made to zip the bottoms of my trousers back on, and Laura to wear sleves. My God. Not good in 37 degree heat. The temples there were absolutley amazing, golden and multicoloured. If it were cooler, I'm sure we would have spent longer navigating the maze of Wats and walls, temples and spires. However. It was hot. Darting from Gallery to Gallery, in to see many Buddas before finally, lo, the Emerald Budda. It was pretty cool. Actually made of a single piece of Jade, it sat high up and was revered by all the locals. We headed over to see the rest of the palace - a very large place!! The photos do not do it justice. Finally, we walked round the the Reclining Budda. Possibly the single, LARGEST Budda I have ever seen, and we've seen some big 'uns! Again, the photos do not do it justice. We grabbed a taxi (God bless Air Con) and came back to the hostel, to await our train to Chiang Mai at 10pm tonight.

Advertisement



16th February 2010

care
steer clear of burgers and rogue tuk tuk drivers-be VERY insistent with them!!!!!! use sun screen a lot- not on the tuk tuk drivers tho.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb