Bangkok China Town

Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 12th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I ended having a great sleep and Jacinta ended up sleeping for 13hours straight and I let her sleep because she was so tired the day before. It gave me a chance to catch up on my share trading anyway. She finally woke up and we decided to get a Tuk tuk into China town to have a look around and also to buy myself a compass and a watch from when I drowned it back on Ko Phangan. At first it drove me crazy not having a watch but after awhile I got used to it and began to except that I really didn’t need to know the time at all. It’s the longest I’ve ever gone without needing the time and the only reason I bought a watch was for the alarm to get our arses out of bed on time. We are getting used to taking tuk tuks now and if we don’t get the price we want we just walk away and more often than not when you walk away they except your price anyway, unless it’s totally outrageous.
We were dropped off next to China town and walked into a massive market that seemed to stretch forever. You could buy all your classic market stuff including jewellery, cloths, sunglasses, watches and even semi precious stones and crafty things. Further outside the markets you have sections which are just related to one product, they are mainly wholesale for example there were half a dozen stores that just catered for rope and others that just sold plastic bags and even an entire street that had just shoes. It was very busy and at times you could not walk anywhere and had to wait several minutes until an opening allowed you to join the traffic. There were also motorbike couriers whizzing in and out of the crowds and they also get held up with the hordes of people so it is very fumey and smoky in the market area. I managed to find a digital watch for 220THB after allot of looking, they were mostly analogue watches and I have never seen so many different styles. Our eyes started to burn and Jacintas throat was dry from all the pollution and it was time to go home. We stopped at the travel agency to organise our train ticket to Lao and a day tour to the Bridge on the river Kwai. We finished of the night talking to a few people on Skype.

Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Tot: 1.3s; Tpl: 0.049s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.4mb