Day Eleven - Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 31st 2009
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bangkok


Day Eleven - Happy 2553



We started with a big breakfast at Rickys before heading to the pier to get the river taxi. Some harridan tried to get 100baht each out of us for a tourist longtail but forewarned we just got the public ferry for 13baht each. We cruised down the river seeing the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun and finally arrived at our stop.

We walked up to Chinatown through the Thieves Market before pausing for some much needed drinks as the sun beat down. I think the desire to yomp through cities was waning fast on everyone so we headed towards our place circling by another temple on the way and most needed, a Chinese for lunch. We also moved through a park on the site of an old prison where the girls again found some fitness equipment to play on for a bit.

As we got up to the Grand Palace complex we passed the ornate Ministry of Defence and there were preparations underway for New Year and we decided to come here later. There was a bigger event happening across town but at 30* we didn’t fancy crowding in with 300000 Thais.

After we had refreshed and had dinner, we went to the New Year’s party. The place was slightly surreal with two Thai dramas being played out on stage. We hadn’t a clue what was going on but it was vaguely entertaining.

They also had a mini fair thing on and Leanne pined for the Ferris Wheel. Once we got to it, she changed her mind - it was built for Thai size, not European. One couple braved it and looked like animals crouched over in a cage as it rotated to its zenith of about 10m.

A few minutes before midnight the announcers started to rally the crowds together in Thai and English and we joined in the countdown. At midnight we were treated to fireworks including a sign proclaiming a happy 2553, the year in Thailand.

To our right, the fireworks from the other event were also visible and as soon as it was all done, it was back to our Mansion for a beer and a few calls home.



Today’s Highlights River cruising; the blatant view before you buy pron market stalls; and entering 2553 in Bangkok




Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb