Bangkok Shock...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 21st 2009
Published: November 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, after an emotional goodbye and a long flight seated next to the only child on the plane (we get all the luck), we landed in Bangkok. The airport bit was fairly quick and stress-free, apart from when immigration found Simon's cocaine stash...that was pretty awk.

We got a taxi and set off for the Phiman Water View hostel, where we had pre-booked acommodation. From the taxi Bangkok looked like a fairly cool place...my views changed when the driver pulled over and said we'd arrived. We got out to a strong stench of dog shit, which was a great start. It was just starting to get dark and to get to our hostel we had to walk down a few side allies - tiny little paths with families sitting outside their homes cooking dinner, with their beautiful rabies infested dogs to greet us. The smell of the food in the heat, combined with dog pooh wasn't the best. Real eye opener to say the least.

Vee, the guy who runs the hostel greeted us and was really nice (he's on drugs the whole time though I'm pretty sure). Phiman Water View is right on the river literally on stilts - amazing views, but at this point I wasn't really interested and was wondering if it was perhaps too soon to go home?!! We got the key, I layed on the bed and cried a lot...but Simon talked some sense into me and we got ready to hit Khao San Road. Because we didn't know the way at this point, we took a few wrong turnings down some pretty hairy roads...at one point a bat type thing flew over us and a rat (Simon said it was cat) ran out in front of us. Brill.

Khao San Road is pretty cool, felt a bit more comfortable there, although we could've been anywhere...Magaluf, Benidorm. After a few beers I settled in a little and managed to relax ever so slightly. Simon met a fellow Spurs supporter within the first few hours, so I felt right at home with the 'Yido' chant ringing in my ears.

Despite a severe case of jetlag we filled our days in Bangkok with lots of walking and sightseeing...it's a great city and I soon discovered it's Khao San that I wasn't such a big fan of, not Bangkok.
We did some shopping and practised some awesome bartering skills! We went to Dusit Zoo, Lumphini Park, China Town, Grand Palace, Giant Buddah, used the water taxi, the sky train, went in a few tuk tuks and also nearly got tucked up by a few! Went in a pedlo boat at the zoo, which was fun until we spotted some huge lizard type things, which could easily be mistaken for crocodiles (nope not exagarating at all).

Also had some great banter with the thai kids selling roses on the streets, one little girl challenged me to a thumb war...because she wasn't winning she suggested paper, scissors, stone, which I also won, so she moved on to Simon. We gave her 20baht to bugger off, she HATED us.

Saw an amazing thai-irish band...seriously cool!

Surprisingly we didn't see many english people during our time in Bangkok. Our hostel seemed to attract lots of Germans, Canadians...you can see where I'm going. Not the friendliest bunch, but no great loss there. We did chat to a few english people one night, but I lost interest when they insisted on saying 'man' after every sentence, which really wasn't necessary.

Have enjoyed some great thai food, including some soft shell crab for Geoff! Also had some great McDonalds (oops how did that happen?)

It's a pretty exhausting place and after 6 days here, we're looking forward to setting off for Chang Mai tonight on the over night train (air conditioned carrriage) - WOOP. I won't miss the walk back to our hostel at night, with horrible dogs barking at us...GULP, but it's also been an amazing experience.

Everyone say 'HAPPY 30TH SIMON'. 😊

Write soon xxx







Advertisement



21st November 2009

Woooop! Great to hear your news, ups and downs but amazing experience none the less. Was it an ACTUAL child on the plane, or just Simon acting up? Look forward to hearing more....HAPPY 30th SIMON!!! xxxx
23rd November 2009

Yiiiiiiidddddddo
Sounds like you're having an awesome time dude! Apart from the crying bit.... grrrrr! Glad to hear the yiddo chants are making you feel at home. I hope there were a lot of those yesterday whilst you watched it!?!? Travel safely. Baz xxxx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb