Day 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 1st 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 2
Having only slept 3hours, as I still haven't yet adjusted to the 7 hours time difference, the group met at a prompt 9am in the lobby to go on out 1st day trip. We were met by a local guide who brought us on a boat tour of the river and the surrounding canals. It was amazing to see all the houses build along the river on wooden stilts, ranging from big to small, shops to workshops and even temples were dotted among them. Some of the structures were going against the law of physics as wood + water = erosion, so if you have a house that house nothing but wood holding it up, well you get the picture. After the hour boat trip, we headed back out into the rain and walked a few meter s to the famous Lying Buddha, famous as it’s the largest of its kind in the World.

In the afternoon I headed to the mall area. With a 14hour train journey that night I needed something filling and safe, so I headed for Mc Donald’s to get a burger and chips. The train from Bangkok to Chang Mai is definitely an experience. By day it’s a double sofa overlooking another double sofa next to the same. At night the double sofas fold together to make a small double bed while overhead a small single bed folds down from the ceiling. The little Thai man then makes the bed, complete with hospital corners, a starch white pillow and a soft white blanket. By 9pm each carriage turns into one massive dorm that is home to 40 beds with a curtain as a divider to the other strangers and snorers, although unfortunately it’s not sound proof to block out the noise of the latter. Having fought sleep for most of the day, by the time 9.30pm I tucked myself into my little cocoon. The gentle rocking motion of the train aided me to a perfect slumber. Nature called during the night and I found it strange that all the lights in the train were still on, I later realized they the lights stayed on all night long, which didn’t bother me to much as I’m not a huge fan of the dark anyway. Some of our group was awaken at 7am for ‘breakfast in bed’ which was ham sandwich, cold chips (French fries) and a coffee.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb