Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Bangkok at around 1pm local time yesterday, the second leg of the flight (Dubai-Bangkok) was pretty tiresome due to a lack of sleep but once we arrived in Bangkok we found a second wave of energy. The guest house we booked (on recomendation) is fairly hidden away through some narrow streets. After getting our taxi from the airport we were dropped off close to the hotel and then had to edge through the narrow streets past the numerous dogs that were roaming aimlessly. Having now been here a day or so and having walked past the dogs a few times we now know what to expect around each corner. Firstly you encounter the mildly terrifying sight of a muzzled dog who it turns out seems fairly timid, as you turn the next corner a medium sized dog (dont know what type) leaps up and barks with all its vigour, it may even trot towards you in a menacing manner, lastly you encounter the rat sized dogs who run up and nibble at your feet, not an ideal route for someone who doesn't exactly like dogs. Ah well ill get my revenge in China....

After finding our guest house and checking into possibly the warmest room in Thailand we ventured out to Khao San Road for a wander and some much needed food. After wandering around the stalls we decided on a restaurant on an adjacent street, as this was our first meal in Thailand we both plumped for Thai Curries, mine Green and Andys red. A short wait later the food arrived a large bowl of mouthwatering Thai curry and a portion of rice, i scooped a little rice onto my spoon then bathed it in the curry; the spoon entered my mouth, the curry hit the back of my throat and the heat hit me. Tears were streaming down my face and i was coughing like a 40-a-day smoker. Despite this intense bout of initial heat i powered through and thoroughly enjoyed the first taste of Thai cuisine. In the evening we headed out for a few beers and a chance to soak up the mayhem of Khao San Road.

Today after a lie in we moved rooms from what ive already described as Thailand's warmest room to a comparable paradise with the brilliant addition of Air Conditioning! After switching rooms and feeling a bit better about the heat situation we took a taxi and headed to the MBK Shopping Centre. A huge 7 floor shopping complex selling a range of mostly knock off goods from designer clothes to fake ipods. Didnt really buy much, all i got was a laser pen, but it was a pretty fun day and i think ill prob head back there to pick up some knock off gear before we head to China.

In a couple of days time i think we might be heading on a one day trekking tour which would be cool so hopefully ill post after that. As a side note i used skype for the first time last night and have to say its fantastic, for anyone else who's considering travelling id advise you to get it.

Bye for now!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb