Bangkok, and life is easy


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Reaching the end of my time here in Bangkok, I've decided to do a bit of a reflection entry. Living here the past couple months has proved to be different than expected, not any fault of the city itself, but more due to the contrast between what people tell you and what I've actually experienced.

A quick disclaimer: I stay on the other side of the river in Bangkok. Like the wrong side of the tracks, but with a softer vibe, Bangkok-yai is the ugly sister to the hip young vibrant feel of Bangkok central. It’s a quieter place, without many hotels, bright lights, or go-go bars. Perhaps this has shaped my experience, but even when visiting areas that are supposedly everything from dangerous to 'wild and crazy' it's been nothing like some report.

So then, my assessment - Bangkok is decidedly easy. Perhaps sitting in a taxi at rush hour runs counter to this assessment, or the lack of communication that is ever-present, but easy in the sense that everything is straightforward and open. The chain of command for almost every activity is easily identifiable, from the food that I eat (with raw foods delivered daily from motor-carts) to the places I visit (ignore those that offer 'great' suits and discount 'gems', go towards the biggest and most colorful object around). Patterns emerge the longer you stay here, and the stories you here are collected highlights against a backdrop of relatively simple living. I've seen oddities (or at least oddities from an American standard) - I've encountered dinners consisting of bugs, seaweed flavored chips, crooked taxi-drivers (perhaps not that odd from an American standard), prostitutes and bright lights against a backdrop of tradition and religion, and even an Irish fellow dressed as superman (oddly enough). These are all the exceptions to Bangkok, however. Most people wake up, work 12 hours, relax with family, and go to bed. People eat when carts travel through the neighborhood, and practice the family trade. Tourism has changed and influenced the culture, business, and mood, but isn't as pervasive as guidebooks would have you think. These books may be good at catching the surface highlights, but that really isn't Bangkok. Because the city is much easier than that.

Other notes, odds, and ends:

Visited the Grand palace. The grand palace is, as a taxi driver explained to me, what defines this city. “If you come to Bangkok, and do not see palace, you do not see Bangkok.” Ballsy statement, but I liked his swagger. After visiting, I've decided the place is quite grand. However, not much else to say.

Visited Jim Thompson's house. He used to live there. However, not much else to say.

Visited silk weavers. They certainly weave silk. However, not much else to say. Other than I never want to be a silk weaver.







Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

TreeTree
Tree

at the grand palace
cannonscannons
cannons

definitely loaded
doordoor
door

at jim thompsons
riverriver
river

on the way to silk weaver
silksilk
silk

weavers
statuestatue
statue

Look closely...you may see a completely unintentional addition to this picture that may just be halarious
sunsun
sun

set
also the sunsetalso the sunset
also the sunset

I want to have a 100 pictures...then I can unlock secret travelblog.org functions!
grandgrand
grand

palace
birdbird
bird

man
gold...thinggold...thing
gold...thing

no idea what this thing is...but i like its style
palacepalace
palace

where grand happens
doordoor
door

photo one of my door series
grandgrand
grand

palace
just go on and guess.just go on and guess.
just go on and guess.

use context clues.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb