Learning to cook Thai style!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 14th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Next day caroline and I went to a cooking course (Siam Cooking School) - we were collected at 8am, by Lucy, our teacher who was brilliant!! he spoke excellent english that he had learnt from films in 4 years, was extremely camp and had the best facial expressions ever - he was hilarious! Met up with the others on our course (12 of us in total) and we got taken around the market by Lucy teaching us about the various ingredients we would be using. Once we had collected those we headed to the cooking school. Lucy is quite a hard task master and put us to work washing and preparing vegetables, with the occasional shout of 'FASTER, FASTER' ... we all started to become slightly nervous of our previously friendly and easy-going teacher ... it seems that when in his classroom he expects immediate and utter obedience, and you know what i'm like with authority.... but he was hilarious if not slightly irritated by bouts of giggling bought on by his scolding.

Lesson 1 - making coconut milk from ground coconut, a very valuable lesson that has taught me that its far easier and a lot less messy to buy it in a carton. tasted delicious though!!

Lesson 2 - Veg, Herb and Spice prep - lots of chopping - remember not to touch your eyes after chopping chillies!!

then we got on with lots of cooking and eating!!! made some of the tastiest thai food i've had so far!! and ate tons of the stuff! Made fresh red chilli paste.... again good to know how but Lucy said even thais don't actually make it everyday themselves as they can buy it fresh from the markets.... a very very special occasion only would warrant the effort when its far easier to buy it in a jar!

very glad we went although returned back to the hotel very full and very tired! both went and got a thai massage - OUCH!! (but very relaxing!) then at 9pm jumped on a bus on our way down to Ko Tao...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

in the classroomin the classroom
in the classroom

learning to cook thai style! serious veg prep to start
Caroline making fish cakes..Caroline making fish cakes..
Caroline making fish cakes..

...i had been given this task but was scolded by Lucy for not doing them correctly and was taken off this duty... (he scolded everyone... alot.... we got quite scared of him...)
Class photo!Class photo!
Class photo!

check out our snazzy aprons!!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb