Meeting Mummily


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 6th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got to the airport very early as we wanted to get out the motel from hell ASAP so wandered around for about 4 hours waiting for mum and Peter. We weren’t allowed to wait right outside arrivals but after a bit of confusion Judith and Alan appeared from the crowds! It was so lovely to see Mum and it was hard to believe it had been almost six months since I had seen her. We got a cab and made our way to the Millennium Hilton that mum had booked for our stay in Bangkok. The evening was spent eating way too much in the incredible restaurant and catching up on the last 6 months. After THE MOST AMAZING breakfast we wasted no time in exploring the sights of Bangkok by river, somehow we managed to get ourself a free guide who showed us around the stunning Grand Palace containing the Emerald Buddha and then we went on to an amazing marble museum/palace type place that I have no idea what it is called. From here we realised that the ’free guide’ wasn’t so free as we were driven to the worlds largest gem factory. We realised it was all a total con but walked round and admired the dreadful bling before legging it back to the hotel, Mum did get a beautiful silk kimono from there though so it wasn’t all bad! For our last night before flying to Koh Chang the next morning we booked ourselves onto a river cruise and spent the night drifting along the ChoaPhraya river dancing to dreadful music and eating awful food ; nonetheless we had a wicked night, sometimes its fun just to be total tourists! We spent the next morning visiting Wat Arun, a beautiful temple named after the Indian God of dawn Aruna. From here we went to Wat Pho to marvel at the 46m long reclining Buddha. After stopping for a quick drink and for me to get my fortune told (Apparently I’m stubborn, fiery and won’t die until my 87th birthday - good to know!) we went back over to the Hilton to get our stuff to go to Koh Chang. Peter had been saying our plane would be a rubber band job for the last two days and I had chosen to ignore the idea, however, when we got off the bus we were faced with a tiny little propeller plane thing, I have seen die cast models bigger!!! Mum and I went a pale shade of green but managed to hold it together for the 1 hour journey - amazingly without valium or brandy! From the very tiny Trat airport we took a minibus to the ferry and made our way to Koh Chang. We arrived at the hotel quite late but we were all blown away by how gorgeous the Gajapuri was. Mum had booked us our own pool villa’s and they didn’t disappoint;- the bathroom was bigger than most rooms we have stayed in while we have been away and 6 pillows - wowser!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The museum /palace with no nameThe museum /palace with no name
The museum /palace with no name

I can't find it in any book!! was very pretty though!
Which one looks more like the artful dodger??Which one looks more like the artful dodger??
Which one looks more like the artful dodger??

You gotta pick a pocket or two!!


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb