Our first week!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well hello all, we are nearly a week into our journey and decided to finally write about it in our blog!
So we'll start from the start:
We finally arrived into Bangkok on the 11th after getting NO sleep on any of the plane rides (even thou we got great seats on the flight to bangkok, tonnes of leg room 😊!!, We decided to try share a taxi tp koh san road so we tracked down two other scared looking girls and with 2 other girls and shared with them . Both of them were travelling solo and we were both delighted that we had each other, as it was pretty overwhelming!
We got to crazy Khoa san road and scouted out our guesthouse (at about 6 o clock thursday evening-and the heat was still sweltering- and yes ok our bag's were a bit too heavy.....yeah yeah dad). We were pleasantly surprised wit our guest house,which was hidden away off the the crazy road, our room was clean and in a nice area, so far so good.
We decided to go out for dinner, and imerse ourselves ain the buzz of bangkok,we found a place close by and ordered our favourite thai dishes- authentic pad thai and chicken with cashew nuts, twas loverly until while eating Grainne saw a massive rat run across the restaurant...NICE- Welcome to bangkok ladies! We then went for a walk down to Khao San road, wrecked from our flight we thought we were seeing thinges when we when we bumped into our friend from college, Shane, who is teaching in Bangkok for a year. We knew he was there but hadn't arranged to meet yet so that was nice (and typicaly irish- who seem to radiate to each other), Shane had stuff for school to prepare for so we arranged to meet up the next night- after we caught up on our lost 24 hours sleep 😊.

DAY 2 IN BANGKOK

After a great nights sleep for grainne and a restless one for louise(whats new), we ventured put onto the street, and A tuk-tuk driver offered us a tour to a couple of temples for 10 baht (about 2c) so we accepted. It was 33 degrees out and we were sweating..to put it nicely.. our backsides off! the temples and buddahs that we got to see were good though( and when you've seen one you've seen em all- it's our motto anyway),as part of the deal with the tuk tuk driver we had 2 go into a suit shop and a tourist office (the driver makes money if we buy something) so we kindly refused to buy any suits or tours and got confused as being lesbians by the lady in the tourist agency- louise feels it was her hat and burned it that night! The driver then got odd with us when we refused to go to any more suit or jewlelery shops so we gave him 100 baht and got him to drop us back...it was still quite cheap for what we got to see- but you just gotta treat em mean around here i'm afraid!

So that night we met up with shane and went to a bar in Khao-San where he drinks, and all the lady(boys_ love him,they all knew his name and were really nice to us- we have yet to meet a non nice thai person- but we have also yet to meet a non nice thai person who doesnt want your money hmmm 😊!! We really had a great night with shane and had pains in our faces from laughing so much as we caught up with each other,it was so nice to see Shane after 2 years, and a great introduction to bangkok.

DAY 3 IN BANGKOK

So our 3rd day in bangkok and we had a night train booked to go to Chiang Mai up north,(leave 7.35pm- arrive 9.45 am). We just had to find away to pass away the day in the heat and wait around till 6 o clock, to be honest both of us were quite happy to be leaving the craziness of Bangkok behind, and looking forward to getting out of city life! We met up with Shane again had a walk around Khao-San played a couple of games of pool, and then made our way to the train station and we ended up being an hour early-ha eager beavers 😊!!

Day 3- The night Train...........

The night train to chiang mai was an experience we were both looking forward to- anyone can fly cant they 😊!! We're back packers- not flash packers- or so we thought 😊!! Anyway our first glimpse of the train was positive and so was the carraige,we didnt expect first class or anything, but after seeing a cockroche 10 mins into the journey we wished we'd flown 😊!!! In fairness they were small,but grainne isnt the biggest fan so didnt sleep on the 15 hour journey up( and we could've flown up in an hour-ahhhhhh)!! Anyway,it was fun and we had beds and a good experience,the views that we saw the next morning couldn't have been seen from a plane so we felt a bit better, we arrived and hour later then expected- who would've thought eh 😊,chaing mai has been fun so far, we're off for a 2 day trek tomorrow and cooking class then but will write all about that in our next blog- sorry if it hasnt been that interesting(it's only four days people 😊! Pictures for this blog will be added on thursday, hope you like 😊! Talk soon xoxox

Advertisement



15th June 2009

Cool
Wa wa we wo!! Good job girls. xxx
18th June 2009

loving the blog!
Hey girls, Had so much fun reading the blog, roll on the pictures. Sounds like a wonderful adventure so far. looking forward to the next installment.
19th June 2009

Sounds Good!!
Well ladies, it all sounds good so far ;) even if it was a looooong train journey That's gas about meeting your friend. Well done anyway on week 1 !!
1st July 2009

wellety wellety
My god, who would have thought mahony would end up being an english teacher, those poor poor thai kids,lol! Hope yere keepin well ladies, i look forward to further updates! toodle pip!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb