First Night in Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 21st 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 19 hours of flight time, Heather and I have safely arrived in Bangkok. The flight on Asiana Airlines gave us a layover in Seoul and of course the plane arrived late, so we had to run through the airport to catch our connecting flight. It's amazing how much better foreign airlines seem to be compared to US domestic. We requested vegetarian meals, and to our surprise they were actually good! Even more impressive is that all of the flight attendants were young and attractive. Isn't that how it should be? What happened to US airlines? They used to be known for their sexy stewardesses back in the 70's, and now it's all middle aged and often slightly over weight men & women. I guess it's sort of like our auto industry....
Anyway, upon arrival, we were greeted at the Bangkok airport by our good friend Ryan Holiday. This was really such a blessing because Bangkok is CRAZY! Apparently there is a taxi mafia that controls most of the turf at the airport. They'll get you were you need to go, however, these cats do not meter your cab rides, and so tourists often end up getting over charged for their fares. If you know exactly where to walk to upon arrival, you can find a legit metered taxi, and avoid getting jacked buy these hustlers. Thank you Ryan!
Ryan also made reservations for us at the Villa Cha Cha hotel http://www.villachacha.com/. We told him that we wanted to stay in something nice to ease the cultural transition, but locally owned. Now, as everyone knows, I LOVE styling ourselves out with luxury accommodations, but we wanted to avoid supporting a corporate foreign owned entity if possible. Villa Cha Cha is $50 a night and the rooms are quite nice with AC and cable Television.
Once we dropped our bags off and freshened up, We headed over to an ex-pat bar just in time to watch our main man Barrack Obama get sworn into the oval office. What an amazing moment in our country's history, and to have been able to watch it from another country was rather surreal. Btw, everyone here in Thailand is just as excited as we are about the changing of the guard!
It's now the next morning, Heather is still getting her beauty rest, and of course I cannot sleep because it's noisy as hell outside with the sound of chirping birds and the faint roar of auto engines.

Advertisement



22nd January 2009

Oh my gosh, I miss you guys already. It sounds like you are happy and excited and having a blast already! I watched the inauguration from my desk at work. =[ I wish I watched it in Bangkok, what a cool experience! Can't wait to see more pictures. Post some of the crazy city! Thanks for checking in, mega-love to you both.
25th January 2009

What about the Miami?
Alright, if you posted pics of the Villa Cha Chaaaaa, you've got to be fair and post pics of the Miami. ;)
26th January 2009

yeah, the us airlines freaking BLOW. and the flight attendants seem like their ready to kill themselves at any minute. it's truly depressing flying on a us carrier. bangkok sounds great. i hope to make it their this year!
26th January 2009

Asiana has the best airline food...I love them :) They fed me a gourmet vegetarian dinner on the 1-hour flight from Osaka to Seoul.
27th January 2009

Oh I remember taking an Asiana flight many years ago. I think I was nineteen at the time and they served me wine and kimchee. It couldn't have been any better.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb