The Grand Palace finally!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 11th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Went to try and get in the Grand Palace but again we were declined for various reasons. No-one in this country seems to know whats going on!

We wandered down to the 3B river crossing to Wat Arun. It was ridicously hot today, must be 30+. not sure wot the weather is in England...

The temple was another big one and in the middle was a huge spire thing which was about 150ft tall. We climbed to the top and enjoyed another great view of the whole city.

We then went back to the Palace to try to get in again. After being told no along the way, we were finally let in. We went round the Temple of the Emerald Buddha first, the most important temple religiously in Thailand. I cannot describe how beautiful it was. Buildings covered in gold, decorations, shiny jewels and mirrors. Breathtaking is not the word. The photos I took won't do it justice. We walked round and went into the temple to see a lifesize emerald covered Buddha perched on top of a gold shrine. Its a shame we weren't allowed to take photos of it. It was a fitting temple for the King.

I could've spent all day there but we were running out of time so walked through to pass the Grand Palace. Again photos can't do it justice, it's huge. We were lucky to be able to get as near to it so we could've knocked on the 20ft door. Of course we couldn't because of the guards everywhere.

We then went back to the hotel to pack. at 8.30pm we left Bangkok on a bus for Chaing Mai in the north, 10 hours away...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb