Leaving Bangkok,


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 17th 2006
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I am downstairs in Wildorchid Villa on Soi Rambuttree near Kosan Rd.
This is the most expensive place we have stayed at, being 650 baht $22 a night. We arrived late and our room was gone on the first night as i was apparently supposed to reconfirm 5 nights before.
This area is busy busy and full of tourists. The streets are a soup of people,food,sweat,noise,fumes,stalls and smiles.
We have been ripped off by a tuk tuk driver and a TAT travel agent to the amount of $40. This is really annoying as they smooth talk you out of it rather than physically taking it. We went back and told them off, and reported it to the tourist police though.
It is good heed for the rest of the trip.
Bangkok is interesting, quite crazy, and hot. I do not think it would be my cup of tea for more than a week, but I can see why people like it. Of course, without a child of nearly 2, it would be a different experience.
We bought a Travelpack to carry Jetson in from a large department store. It was definitly a good buy. I did not realise how difficult it would be getting him around. Now he is quite happy on Johns Back. (Sometimes I carry him but John takes him more often.)
The Thai people give Jetson lots of attention and he is often carried around by complete strangers. They are in general, very personable people and smile more often than not.
The food is good, although Jetson is not eating much. He drinks many fruit smoothies and eats lots of fruit in general. I put this down to the heat.
After much deliberation we are taking the bus to Trat tomorrow. I was determined to take a plane and somehow have ended up on a 6 hour bus trip ! Oh well, if we do one now and it is a nightmare, we will not be doing it again .
I am pleased to be leaving Bangkok, not that has been a bad experience, in fact it is quite an amazing place, but it is hard work and there are other places to explore. If we had the space, we could be shopping like crazy, but really we do not need much and my desires do not seem to lie in objects at the moment. The Palace, Emerald Budda and reclining Budda we visited yesterday are things that make Bangkok so special, and tonight we went on the river at sunset which has to be one of the best ways to appreciate the city.
It is a good thing to do this now. Later in life i may not have the patience , or will not want to have, to have the patience.
Yes, give me a book...... and a view.
Koh Chang here we come.
Lou


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Deep fried bugsDeep fried bugs
Deep fried bugs

Deep fried bugs


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb